Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pikes Peak Whitewater Club in Colorado Springs will start their annual pool sessions on 23 January, 2011. Come on out and join us for roll practice, kayak skills tuning, and after practice fun.

Every Sunday: 23 January - 8 May 2011 (excluding Feb 6th)
5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Cheyenne Mountain High School
1200 Cresta Road, Colorado Springs, CO 80906

Pool entrance is on the south side (please wash your boat before entering)
Free for PPWC club members
$10 per pool session without membership

This year we again will be offering an ACA sanctioned beginners class to our members. This class fills up fast so if you are interested please visit our club site for further details.

The Pikes Peak Whitewater Club (PPWC), an ACA Paddle America Club, is an enthusiastic group of paddlers, who get together on weekends/weekdays, to explore Colorado's rivers and beyond. With a wide range of talent and experience, the group shares river trips, stories, tips, hidden river gems, camping areas, adventure destinations, and other outdoor activities. We are active all year round, boating whatever rivers are available to run. PPWC is open to all skills levels. So, if you are just starting out or a seasoned boater, you are welcome to join the fun!

We hope to see you there,

Scott Holmberg, President PPWC
719-231-8584

See the website at www.pikespeakwhitewaterclub.com/

Membership:
Pikes Peak Whitewater Kayak Club

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
yo CO SPRINGS boaters and Pikes Peak Whitewater Club!!! I just noticed that the Arkansas River is up!! the ark is super fun even at this lower flow. If we get some good weather i'd be super down for some paddlin, and i know you ALL will be here on JAN 15th for the BV whitewater park benefit, with a band and PBR for all!!!! if anyone is lookin to paddle pine creek, or numbers, or browns canyon (all VERY do able and worth while) feel free to hit me up. 719-two-zero-seven-2643

·
Registered
586 Posts
Really?
I drove through Bighorn Sheep Canyon on Friday and there were massive ice bridges, and lots of ice even in the sunniest areas.
Is it not so around BV?
If there aren't ice bridges, I am definitely down for any of the BV-area runs on any day where the air temp is around 45 or better.

·
Registered
135 Posts
id725, great question,, i'll drive the #'s after work here shortly to see what the ice situation is. i hear there's some 40+ degree weather comming soon, maybejust in time for this weekend! keep fingers crossed;

·
Registered
586 Posts
Right on, fatbob -
I hit the Parkdale stretch three times in December, including the 29th - just before the first hard freeze. So I am definitely into year-round Ark boating, and I don't mind low flows. But I really think this second stretch of sub-zero nights is going to result in the Ark being shut down until late February.
If I get an ice-free Ark report any time in the next month, I'm in.
Otherwise it's Taos in February to scratch the winter ELF itch.

Mike H: I hope one of the ppwc officers will see this and respond to your question. I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be any kind of "rule" against SUP boards... the only thing I would wonder about is space. On a crowded night, I wonder how well a SUP would fit in the pool. But I only go to one or two pool sessions per year, and I'm not in a club leadership position, so I can't really say. Hopefully Scott, Chris or Dan will jump in here.

-Mike G.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mike, your right. there are several ice bridges between 4 and 5 i saw last night that were not that a couple weeks ago. damn, i was hoping this upcomming warm(er) spell was gonna bring some ark boating! monarch it is until the ice breaks!!

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Otherwise it's Taos in February to scratch the winter ELF itch.
Holla when you do Mike. I love it down there.

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
are SUP boards allowed at your pool session? thanks.
Sure Mike, we can accomodate. We had CKS come down last year at our Demo Days with SUP boards. Like Mike said it does get a bit crowded at times and we are also exploring some other venues for kayak demonstrations and possible pool use in our area.

Coming to our Demo nights is a great way to at least get a little flat water time in a boat without taking the trip out to BV.

Scott

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Our Vice President Chris will be interviewed on KRCC Public Radio 91.5 FM in the Springs on Friday. When I get the exact time I'll post it for those who would like to listen in.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Actually it's AM 1300 the Sports Animal. They haven't gotten back to me yet. I'm working on deepening my voice for the interview so I have that FM sound.

More than on SUP boater at one time in our rolling sessions is probably too much. IMHO.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Sure Mike, we can accomodate. We had CKS come down last year at our Demo Days with SUP boards. Like Mike said it does get a bit crowded at times and we are also exploring some other venues for kayak demonstrations and possible pool use in our area.

Coming to our Demo nights is a great way to at least get a little flat water time in a boat without taking the trip out to BV.

Scott
great we will bring some boards down for folks to try. thanks!

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
great we will bring some boards down for folks to try. thanks!
Like Chris said "More than on SUP boater at one time in our rolling sessions is probably too much."

I think last year CKS brought two to their/our Demo Nights. We're sure grateful for what we have, but maybe someday we'll have a bigger pool.

·
Registered
807 Posts
we'll connect with Earl on a Demo night and try not to mob you guys. for the record our boards are all sub 7' so they don't take up as much real estate, that is what makes them cool and different and why we think people will like trying them out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I couldn't edit my comment. We are mostly a whitewater kayak club.BUT we are always open to new things related to Whitewater.
What I tried to say was ONE SUP in our pool at any time is enough. We have access to one of the largest pools in town, but those boards seem huge.
I know we'd love to try some out.

Chris Brobin VP in Charge of Media Relations
(I'm going to be on AM 1300 here in the Springs tomorrow at 3:45)

·
Registered
243 Posts
You can clean your boat on the way to the rolling sessions at a car wash on 8th street. When you turn off US 24 its only a block or two on the right. The water is warm too.
Chris.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just got back from cleaning my boat at that place on eight street. I cleaned two boats for $1.50. Pretty good deal. See everyone tonight.

If you want to help teach people how to roll. Show up at 4:00. Otherwise 5:00 to 7:00.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts