Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Colorado River map mentions that there might be a boat launch just upstream of pinball rapid? Can anyone confirm? Any info on it?

thanks for the help...

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Talking about the Shoshone section near Glenwood (I think 'Pinball' is one of the first rapids above 'The Wall')? If so, yes.

You have to be traveling east bound on I-70 to exit and then you can only return westbound. Coming from the east, exit at the Grizzly exit (takeout for Shoshone or putin for Grizzly) and get back on the highway the other way.

It's a fairly small area under the highway that can get very congested.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talking about the Shoshone section near Glenwood (I think 'Pinball' is the first rapid)? If so, yes.

You have to be traveling east bound on I-70 to exit and then you can only return westbound. Coming from the east, exit at the Grizzly exit (takeout for Shoshone or putin for Grizzly) and get back on the highway the other way.

It's a fairly small area under the highway that can get very congested.

Actually, I'm talking about the section of the Colorado upstream of Dotsero, they call it "pinball point" or "pinball rapid". Trying to figure out logistics and whether there is a map there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
As I recall (been a while), there's a BLM map available online that shows all the put-in/take-out points and public/private land. Is that the map you're looking at?

·
Registered
351 Posts
don't know any 'pinball rapid' but there are a few camping pull outs on that road, should be plenty of roadside pull outs too

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like there is some sort of launch at pinball point, downstream of derby junction. I think that will work

·
Premium Member
674 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I drove that higway a couple weeks ago and was surprised at how many put in/take out spots there are between State Bridge and Dotsero. Looks like an even more fun float than Pumphouse as there is more consistently moving water than P'house section. Granted, flows were way up then so not sure about flows below 2k. Be interested to hear what you find.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes there is a launch about a mile upstream of Pinball. There's a pullout to the right and then a sketchy ramp down to the river. I wouldn't recommend backing anything in muddy conditions or without 4 wheel drive. Other than that it's a great eddy to launch from and then Pinball is just around the corner. Also keep an eye out for a great lunch spot on river left about five miles down, just before the river takes a very sharp right hand turn. It's in a copse of pines and away from the road. Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. Planning to float from Pumphouse to this Pinball boat launch this weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts