Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Competitive Boaters! Compete in the Colorado Cup, a seven-event state-wide series during the summer. Competitors compete in as many events as they can to accumualte points. Points are awarded according to their placement at the events. The competitor with the highest number of points in his/her class at the conclusion of the series will be awarded as the Colorado Cup Champion. ITS FREE! If you registar to compete in the events you are automatically entered in the Colorado Cup. Classes are pro,expert,sport/rec and junior so pretty much everyone can do it. Event dates are:
June 4-6- Clear Creek, Teva Mountain Games at Vail, Animas River Days
June 11-13- Lyons, Yampa River Festival
June 18-20- FIBArk
June 25-27- Gunnison Whitewater Festival
For more information please feel free to call Moira Hundley (970)943-2148 or email [email protected]- ITS GUNNA BE AWESOME! :D

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
"Professionalism will be completely destructive of any control an individual has over the sport at present. These few Wall Street flesh merchants desire to unify kayaking only to extract the wealth. Under this `professional' regime, the wave rider will be forced into being totally subservient to the few in control in order to survive. The organizers will call the shots, collect the profits while the wave rider does all the labor and receives little. . . .A kayaker should think carefully before selling his being to these "people" since he's signing his own death warrant as a personal entity.

Think about why you kayak

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yeah, and all you lemmings out there who paddle a boat made by a corporation are contributing to the downfall of the sport, too. I paddle my self-righteous butt down the river in a homemade recycled PET boat held together with bong residue. What a bunch of crock.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Or you could just compete, kayak, jib, and huck your ass off and be proud when you throw sicker shit than your best friend who paddles some corporate ass competitors boat that you don't like because you paddle another corporate ass competitors boat. Chill out red neck. Take a dip. The only reason we go to comps is to kick it with our best friends, camp, eat, and drink a shit load. And if you smoke then smoke enough to donate some bong residue to Steve's boat when he breaks his pure, true, hard core, non corporate boat all because you aren't keeping it real unless you have said boat. Besides, if you do jib and huck your ass off then you don't have any money for those corporate ass holes to profit from because you spent it all at Conoco and bulk packages of Ramen. If you'll excuse me now I am going to go sell my soul to some beer, a killer hangover, and some fun, and try to figure out why I boat...oh yeah corporate fun. Like when I'm on OBJ at 3:00am burping up Yeiger shots in my corporate ass boat wondering why I am about to do something this stupid. How corporate of me.

Everyone on this forum needs to quite whining and just go boat for whatever fucking reason they feel like. The snow will melt soon...

·
Registered
569 Posts
As far as the wave rider doing all the work I think you might be underestimating the labor of the organiser. The wave rider does little unless he or she jump in and help judge, announce, set up tents, tally scores or keep time. The wave rider just shows up. Also The issue that I have been running into time and time again is trying to communicate with everyone in order to get something positive going in my community, ie water parks, river conservation, access. Events can provide forums for that as well. You see a flyer about a river clean up you might show. Your buddy that is sitting next to you in the eddy tells you about it you probably will go. I appreciate that Moira and others have put in so much effort into organizing this and is going to have a big hassle keeping track of points because I have done it for our high school series and no that it is fun, challenging, and hopefully you feel that you are improving your boating community. I would be a bit surprised if the organisers are making any money. Maybe I am naive about this but I know that ideally the money is going to some cause because frankly you could not pay me enough to do what I do when I put on an event but I also know that I would not take any money for it either. Here at CRMS or race profits go back into the program and we raised $500 to put into park development in the valley. Not much but a start. So hats off to the organisers.

Peter

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey, yeah, right on Mo thanks for all your hard work on this, it sounds like it will be a really fun series of events and more (see Kyle´s post for why). Also, Brian Owen deserves big ups for his huge contribution, hard work and the conception of this project.

Ok, now I gotta get to the point and why I´m freakin posting on mountainbuzz form the southern hemishphere 12 hours off of the Futaleufu. Redneck, you are freakin crazy!!! It sounds like you have no idea what kayaking scene is all about. I say this because you talk about all kinds of money in the kayak industry. Wake up dude....there is none. NONE. No one makes big money kayaking, selling whitewater boats, making movies etc... Simply put (again) there is no money in kayaking and there is no kayaking in money. Just ask Este. I think we can feel pretty safe about not being exploited becuse there is nothing to exploit. You go to comps if you like paddling with your bros in a festival like atmosphere in between hitting creeks. If it aint your scene, trust me, you wont be missed, cause yes, the eddies are plenty crowded. Dont worry, all the ¨gay-boaters¨ will be in awe over how much cooler you are cuase you are not there and are out running Lake Creek (or is it that we can both creek hard and play hard that pisses you off..... WAIT, sorry, getting off track. Back to the point). Do you own a rafting company?

Left wing fanatical conspiracy theory propaganda can be accurately applied to many scenarios, but not this one. Heres why. Mo, Brian, Mike and other contest organizers (let´s exclude Vail and the Teva mountain games for the sake of these arguments becuase they are actually corporate profiteers) work their asses off to put on an event thats gonna be cool for paddlers, and beneficial for the community in the sense that it will provide a fun festival like atmosphere that celebrates the river and playing on it. The people out of Gunny I know who essentially spearheaded the CO Cup series are doing this for, umm, FREE. Why? Again, see Kyles post. To have fun, help the towns recognize their wise investments on their water parks and show the community (both paddling and local) a good time. Sure a few product manufacturers set up booths, but trust me...whitewater manufacturers are SURVIVING....barely. They hav no power ($$$) to coerce us paddlers into anything that objectifies the reasons we love to boat be it at a downtown park and play spot or on a remote wilderness multiday self support class 5 run in the middle of wherever.

Your statements were such shite that part of me thinks you just wrote all that stuff to get a reaction. If so, here you go.

Have a nice day. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS! Meng and Peter, I am doing this for free...why? Because i think it's going to rock!
Tell all your friends The Colorado Cup is going to be out of control.Not only do you get to hang out with fellow boaters at your local comp, but you can travel and have a kick ass time all through the month of June, even better. I am stoked to get in the water and paddle all over Co. who wouldn't be?????
Mo

·
Registered
790 Posts
Whoa dude, I kinda went off a little bit too much on my last post. I appologize Redneck, for all opinions deserve forum and some amount of respect if if you disagree with what is said/written.

·
Registered
569 Posts
It is also apparently from redneck's post in response to the ARk ICP that he/she/it thoughtful, and involved in his/her/its community. Not to excluded the hermaphrodites.

Peter

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Wow,

I was looking for a response and that is what I got - Listen I know the work that goes into organizing any event and hats off to Mo – I am sure that the Colorado Series will be a great event and enjoyable experience for many boaters and spectators. To clutch – this may well be one of the best posts that I have read – I would love to boat with you someday. To meng – I am not trying to talk down to or make fun of any type of boater “gay, straight, hell bi boaters” all can have a spot in any line up that I am a part of. You speak with passion and I respect that – no need to apologize – you were correct I was just looking to see what type of response I would get from this quote.

Next this is not even my quote – my simpleton mind could not express any point this well. This quote was given to me by a old – very old – “soul surfer” who was born in Hawaii, and livin the quote since the late 50’s (livin day by day with very little $ or responsibility just the love of the surf). In his opinion kayaking in the present is where surfing was in the late 60’s. He believes competitions lead the way to push surfing on the press, TV, movies, and so on to the conforming masses. This process in turn is responsible for the masses of surfers today. His point is that be careful what we (as kayakers) wish for it may well come true (even if it takes 20 years).

My first post came from our discussion about what the kayaking scene will be like in 20, 30, or 40 years and the current state of the Browns Canyon. He told stories of old school breaks that are off limits to him due to huge crowds or agro locals and I told a story of a section of river that I have boated for over 20 years soon to be off limits to me sometime in the near future. I guess the short of it is that after my conversation with him (and 8 or so beers later) I realized that we all need to enjoy kayaking (or surfing) for its moment in this time and place. Kayaking like surfing is changing and inevitably not all changes will be for the best. With that being said nobody could have held back surfing from the masses and nobody can hold back kayaking even if there is a similarity. I just like to see the limits of kayaking pushed among 3 or 4 good friends on a wave or creek in the middle of nowhere where there are no cameras or outside witnesses and done purely for the enjoyment of the river and the unique challenges that kayaking has to offer.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I just like to see the limits of kayaking pushed among 3 or 4 good friends on a wave or creek in the middle of nowhere where there are no cameras or outside witnesses and done purely for the enjoyment of the river and the unique challenges that kayaking has to offer.[\quote]

Amen. That is where the soul of the sport lies, and that is where my number one passion lies. Freestyle is the social party scene, and creeking is the goods. We should definetly paddle. In a couple of weeks, since I broke my wrist last night. hence the short post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Mo, how old do you have to be to compete in the CO cup series? I'm extremely interested because I'm kayaking as an independent sport and want to compete as much as possible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
HeyMo, how young do you have to be to compete in the CO Cup Series? :lol: I sure enjoyed the "Masters" division in Green River this past summer, lol. Seriously though, running rivers is my passion, but I sure enjoy just hanging at comps and watching the awesome skills of playboaters. I'm just learning to surf and play, but I always love a party!

Oh and Kyle, don't you know there are hippies in Wyo that are suffering, while you're rubbing resin on friend's boats? Or maybe that's China and something about wasting food, oh well,lol. Don't ya hate that though, fix your friend's boat, then there's a drought!

·
Registered
569 Posts
high shcool series

Hey kentboater,

This will also be the 5th year of the Colorado High school series. This happens every weekend in may just about and though all events are open to adult and masters classes the focus is on high school students. It is not just freestyle but slalom and downriver/boatercross as well. Iwill be posting the schedule with in the week.

Peter

·
Registered
882 Posts
Cutch said:
In a couple of weeks, since I broke my wrist last night. hence the short post.
AGAIN?!?! Man, I am sorry to hear that - that friggin' blows. I guess we won't ride this year, either. I guess 'tis the season...I ran into Lyle and he just got his shoulder scoped. But if the doctor told you lay off it for 8 weeks, and Bailey turns on in 3 or 4....I got yo number.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
steve,

duct tape fixes everything! and metal pins stuck into my arm. surgery tommorow. call me when shit starts to run, i will be good soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To Kent and Mary Jane,
We included everyone in the Colorado Cup that competes at the events in the series for no extra charge or registration. You just have to enter the freestyle comp and stay in your class. The classes are Pro, Expert, Sport/Rec and Junior. We give competitors points according to their placement at these events. So no worries, you all can find a place in the Colorado Cup.
Mo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts