Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the kayak companies in the US (that I know of) are based out east.

Jackson (TN)
Dagger (confluence) (SC)
Liquid Logic (NC)

I know some companies have been in Colorado a long time ago and moved but does anyone know of any companies that have tried to be based out of (or start in) Colorado or anywhere west of the Mississippi for that matter in the last 20 years? Any failed startup stories?

I understand that manufacturers tend to stick together geographically. I also get that kayaking has a longer (pretty much non-stop) season out east but I would think that there is enough kayaking in Colorado to support a manufacturer here.

Just wondering. Thanks.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Wave Sport was out of Oak Creek Co, Grayling Kayaks (ancient glass boats) out of Denver, CKS started building glass boats out of the Buena Vista area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bummer, that would be pretty awesome if CKS made their own line of boats but I guess they would have to sell more of their own boats than they do the companies they carry now which would be tough.

Figures it's a grow house now.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The US Branch of Zet Kayaks is based out of Banks, ID now. For a company to move out west, it makes a lot more sense to be based out of Washington, Idaho, or (though not recently) Cali than Colorado- unless you really want to prove how indestructible your boats are by throwing them down mank every day.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think New Wave was based in Durango. Could be mistaken...

Don't think you can really call them kayaks, but Alpaca and Kokopelli pack rafts are in CO.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think New Wave was in Ohiopyle, PA. Mostly Jim Snyder Designs. Sleek, Cruise Control, Screamin' Meany among others. Sin Squirtboats by Techline were manufactured here in Durango starting in 1996/97. Mold was sold to PS Composites. You can still get these from Custom Kayak.
River

1 - 8 of 8 Posts