Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on Hanging my new PVC boat in my garage from the D rings. This is my first experience with a PVC boat and I'm wondering if cold weather + tension on D rings = Bad? It is a 12' with an NRS Bighorn I on it. I was planning on also having the paddles (5), oars and a few other assorted gadgets in the boat as it hangs.

Should I just build a cradle for it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I hang my boat, it is not PVC, but I get straps all the way around it in about 4 places rather than attaching to frame or D rings. Seems to work fine, been doing it for years. I sometimes put the IK in the raft too

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can build a real simple cradle using four eye bolts and a couple lengths of PVC pipe that are just longer than your raft is wide. Run the rope through the PVC pipe and the eye bolts, then lay the PVC pipe under the raft. As you raise the raft, you wont get any friction on the boat, and it will disburse the weight evenly and not stress the D-rings.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Awesome idea! Hadn't thought of using PVC. We're in the process of reconfiguring our garage to make room for the 2 kayaks and 14 ft raft....

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have stored my Aire 156d hanging in my garage for ten years. I use 3 NRS 1 1/2 " straps from frame underneath boat to opposite frame. Then I attatch a haul system to each fo the four corners of the frame and lock it with a petzl mini traxion after asending the boat to desired location. The boat hasn't shown any stress on the d-rings and looks great since it is always inflated. Marc

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Several good ideas. I'll have to see which will work best in the garage. The frame is being stored in a different spot, so that idea is out, but I bet cam straps through D rings all the way around the boat would work as well.

Thanks for the ideas!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts