Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up buzzards! It’s been a good season for boating despite COVID. Here in central Oregon, the weather is starting to change, but trips are still in the books... That said, I’m looking for y’alls thoughts on winter footwear. I don’t feel like my NRS booties keep my feet supported enough during multi days (esp loading and unloading gear), and perhaps a bit cold.

With my drysuit I’ve tried NRS booties, Astral shoes, and Simms wading boots. I’m still looking for a “warm” supportive, footwear option. Any thoughts? I’ve got some cold trips in the forecast!

(Ps pics of mountain goats have nothing to do with post. I just thought they were cool. I‘ve never seen MG up close; turns out they just like the last groups discarded macaroni on the Grande Ronde 🤷🏻‍♂️)

·
Registered
77 Posts
If its a gortex suit, have booties installed. Kokatat will do it. Then you can wear dry socks. Worked for me. I had booties a size too big which could handle the DS sock and wool sock.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I rock a pair of poly pro socks, my drysuit latex feet, neoprene socks (I have a few different thicknesses depending on temps) and all this goes in my old running shoes. The runners have great support and drain super well. This works for rafting all winter in Oregon.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I rock a pair of poly pro socks, my drysuit latex feet, neoprene socks (I have a few different thicknesses depending on temps) and all this goes in my old running shoes. The runners have great support and drain super well. This works for rafting all winter in Oregon.
Agree.

I bought a pair of waterproof winter running shoes, and they were just waterproof enough to keep my feet clammy, and with a couple pinholes waterproof enough to keep water in but not keep it out.
So I started wearing them with my drysuit and love them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm really happy with a light or med wt pair of wool socks inside my drysuit G-T booties, with a pair of hydroskin socks over the booties (recommended to me to reduce wear on the G-T bootie built into the dry suit) and a pair of running/approach shoes (my favorite is LaSportiva Ultra Raptors which have sticky near-climbing shoe rubber). Warm, good traction, and great foot protection. My normal size shoes work fine with this combination if I take the footbed out.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I like the idea of the hydroskin socks over the gtx booties.

My feet get a little cold when I'm just wearing NRS booties, so that's another plus.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a Kokotat drysuit that comes with a seam-taped attached bootie. With the attached bootie the warmth is really supplied by the dry socks I use, not so much anything external to the bootie which will get soaked. Fwiw, I use heavy duty wool/alpaca mountaineering socks inside the bootie. Then I also use a neoprene footie over the outside of the bootie. As another poster mentioned this is partly for warmth but also to reduce wear on the nylon sole of the bootie. Finally (and here's where I differ from others) I use a scuba bootie with a sole for my external "shoe." Lots of relatively inexpensive options out there. Fwiw for cold weather I currently use a Mares Tri-Boot 6.5. Thick neoprene, a side zip, and a full-on sole; flexible but a real sole, beefy. Just be sure to maybe size up a bit to account for all your layers. Works for me.
-Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts