Mountain Buzz banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,163 Posts
Sock Method users:

Do you use a regular men's tube sock? A woman's nylon sock?
Black socks, 'cause they don't get dirty, they just get stiffer...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Mkash:

That would be quite nice, thank you. I like half and half and a little bit of sugar. While you're getting that, can I offer you a pumpkin pancake? How crispy do you like your bacon?

We're launching Saturday on Westwater. If you'd like to make the coffee, I've already made some chipotle corn muffins for the launch breakfast. I usually have a bottle of whiskey and a bottle of Bailey's in case you'd like to fortify your coffee for the river.

I'm the chubby guy with the red hair. Come over, have a coffee and muffin on me if you're not making the coffee.

See you around the firepan,

Tom

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Not sure how both this and the other 2017 breakfast ideas thread both got bumped within a day of each other by different people, and I usually tend to make fun of thread necromancers, but this is great timing.

I did try coffee socks and was pleasantly surprised by how well they work, for both hot coffee and cold brew.
You can cold brew on a layover day, and drink it iced, or it warms quickly and makes a great cup of coffee.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I bought a coffee press a few years ago, my own coffee, never drank group coffee again. Also never had a bad cup again either. Most my trips everyone (or couple) usually has their own press and coffee of their choice. We will set up a separate coffee table so everyone stays out of the cooks way with bigger groups. Gives everyone a chance to sample different coffees.

·
Super Moderator
4,163 Posts
I bought a coffee press a few years ago, my own coffee, never drank group coffee again. Also never had a bad cup again either.
That reminds me of these wise words: "If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

Reactions: duct tape

·
Registered
830 Posts
I’ll post since MT Runner has broken the necro thread ice :). Haven’t read all of the old posts. Sorry, I’m at work and supposed to be working.
Im always the first guy up and use a 2 gallon cowboy coffee pot with muslin bags, into a 2 gallon thermos. I save the bag for the guy who alway gets up late and misses the first brew.

·
Super Moderator
2,911 Posts
Lower Jack?
I would have to go look to be sure but I think it's Marble Right.

"Partner steel coffee pot and and half pound of coffee. Add touch cold water and swing to settle"

So I have done this with an outfitter and the mess in the coffee pot is not worth it. The coffee is fine enough. I guess if you have enough room to carry a couple of coffee pots, one for boiling water and one for coffee. But I don't want to bring a fifth dry box.....

·
Registered
830 Posts
Another comment. I’ve been brewing our group coffee for over the last ten years. I like the early morning routine and love the smell. I’ve even been tempted to bring a battery powered grinder just so I can smell the beans.
I like my coffee strong. But in our group there’s always one guy (you know who you are😃) who wants it stronger. And there’s at least two who say it needs to be weaker. Never fail. Every time. My response? See you tomorrow at 6AM 😀

·
Registered
168 Posts
For big trips I built this coffee pot out of an old 5gal keg cut in half. I finagled a handle out of some steel rod, added a stainless drain spout and ball valve. When I make coffee for large groups I add a bunch of coarse ground coffee to 11" muslin bags (can be purchased at amazon/homebrew shop). 1 big bag is good for 1 morning (I like it very strong)...dilute as needed. Boil water in vessel, steep coffee while grooving, drink coffee.
It also functions as a great "mega-drink" maker in the evenings...think Margaritas, Hurricanes, Dark & Stormy's, Jungle Juice...
Stainless cleans up so easy and it's not super heavy...makes around 2 gallons of coffee/cocktails. It's available for use if you invite me on a trip :cool:

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
My opinion.

Cowboy coffee sucks. Pain in the ass in every respect, especially cleanup. And good to the last drop, it ain't.

Likewise can be French presses concerning cleanup. Taste great but messy.

For both Cowboy and French Presses the failure is production rate. To generate more is a major hassle.

The best way to go is a big pot of boiling hot water that be ladled out of to satisfy any AM hot water requirement; personal coffee presses/methods, tea, cocoa, sterilization/cleaning, etc.

For coffee requirements ladle water using handled (collapsible) measuring cup into a Melita filter(collapsible) atop multiple thermal carafes appropriate to size of the group. As fast as you can pour water you produce quality coffee. Waste grounds are in the paper filter and NOT in the cleanup system. Coffee in thermal carafes are hot to the last pour which with proper planning is into my thermal mug before heading down the river on a sunny morning. Hot, tasty, fresh brew while rowing down the river. That defines a perfect morning.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I‘ve tried cowboy, running two of the big Stanley French presses, seep in a bag (both disposable and painter’s sock), etc.

Last year I was on a trip and we used the best system I’ve seen yet. Heat water on the blaster. Pour over #6 Melitta cone with filter which was attached DIY style to a 1 gallon insulated Bubba Keg. Whole set up is about $30. it kept the coffee hot. There’s a pour spout on the Bubba Keg so it’s easy enough to change out grinds and keep the coffee flowing. Grounds are in a filter so easy clean up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I boil a pot of water, then throw one of these with the coffee in my insulated carafe.

Keeps the coffee hot for hours, leaves unfettered hot water for the tea crowd, and is easy to clean up.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I guess one way to go is to make a big pot of hot water on the blaster then have everyone dip from it to do as they please; personal press, personal starbuck powder pack, personal melitta filter, tea, cocoa, etc. Biggest problem with that concerns the original question "Coffee for 20". If 20 or so people clutter the kitchen area making their own it can become a problem.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts