Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,911 Posts
Not sure if you can see the modified bar clamp in the middle of this but I use it to hold the Melita filter holder. I carry a insulated thermos pot ( or two for big trips) and it works great. Need coffee in the middle of the pour - swivel it over and fill your cup and swivel it back. Someone needs tea while you are pouring. Bam - here is your tea.

I can't believe that you all carry some ungodly large contraption down the river that only has one use.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Big pot of water the night before. Ground coffee in a nylon sock. (Many arguments about quality of coffee) First person up fires up the blaster, (this wakes everyone up) boils water, then puts nylon with coffee in water. Pour it all into a cooler thermos with spigot. How long you let is seep is taste preference.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Big pot of water the night before. Ground coffee in a nylon sock. (Many arguments about quality of coffee) First person up fires up the blaster, (this wakes everyone up) boils water, then puts nylon with coffee in water. Pour it all into a cooler thermos with spigot. How long you let is seep is taste preference.

Not to over think this, but what EXACTLY do you mean by nylon sock?

We had something to this effect last fall on a trip, and I thought it was hands down, way easier than cowboy coffee for clean up alone. But I failed to get more information since with was a trip with people who stole it from work.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not to over think this, but what EXACTLY do you mean by nylon sock?

We had something to this effect last fall on a trip, and I thought it was hands down, way easier than cowboy coffee for clean up alone. But I failed to get more information since with was a trip with people who stole it from work.
luckylauren, they're not socks but simply nylons that ladies wear or crooks use to cover their faces during the commission of a crime. I use the anklets size so that's why i referred to them as socks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you're a homebrewer, you probably have muslin or nylon drawstring bags for hops, which work great for steeping coffee in after the boil. You can pick them up at a homebrew store or Amazon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have settled on using multiple drip filters, which scales easily. Most of my trips are small, only need 1. Recent trip used 2 for group of 12. Would bring 3 for group of 20. I drip into vacuum bottles (hydroflasks), which go to the river filled with a different brew consumed the first night.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The big problem is judging the strength of the brew. I When the water is good and hot and I'm adding the finest bat guano, I toss in a small axe head. When the axe head floats, it's just about right. From there, you can doctor it up with Pappy Van Winkle's 23 year old Straight Kentucky Bourbon (2012 bottling), or Jeremiah Weed, according to your custom. Add Pappy Van Winkle's until the axe head sinks, or add Jeremiah Weed until the fragrance of turpentine and jet fuel drives the bears, blackflies and mosquitoes off. Just before turning off the heat, garnish the whole thing with a nice layer of ground habanero seed and stir well. Because nobody likes cold coffee. And don't let your nose drip in the pot. That is NOT what they mean by "dripped coffee."

·
Registered
56 Posts
We do the sock method in 2 gallons of hot water, soak a while, and pour it all into a 2 gallon Coleman Jug with a dispenser nozzle thing. Keeps it way warmer longer! Leave the sock in for hearty brew, We got our sock from a river running company...not sure where to get them otherwise. This is a fabulous method. And, we did some research on the Coleman jug. It should not leach anything into the brew, no taste difference. Our first jug lasted 6 Grand Canyon trips plus many smaller trips!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00363PRG...t=&hvlocphy=9030289&hvtargid=pla-275271835128

Flag

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
That reminds me of my favorite mixed drink Villagelightsmith.

In a tumbler over ice,I combine: a dash of Bitters, a Jigger of captain morgans, a shot or so of Yukon Jack , and then for good measure I like to add a pinch or two red man chewing tabaco.
I call it: aBitterMorganYukonChew!

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,107 Posts
Ditto on Tom's recipe. But, we bring IV bags and needles for the hard to stir members of the party. Hook em up, give em the coffee from the bottom of the pot, and stand back.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Just got back from my trip and used the paint strainer bag method with a 1-gallon Gott drink cooler. The paint strainer bags I used have an elastic top that fits perfectly around the top of the cooler. About a half bag of coffee per gallon of coffee, steep for 5 minutes, remove paint strainer bag and toss grinds - done. Pro tip - grind your own coffee on a coarse setting (like for french press). The standard grind for drip coffee left a bit of sludge at the bottom of the pot. Otherwise, excellent method with very little cleanup.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sock Method users:

Do you use a regular men's tube sock? A woman's nylon sock?

I once tested out using drawstring "fill your own" tea bags full of grounds and they just floated around at the top of the pot and were a pretty serious failure.

Please fill me in with the proper sock description.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sock Method users:

Do you use a regular men's tube sock? A woman's nylon sock?

I once tested out using drawstring "fill your own" tea bags full of grounds and they just floated around at the top of the pot and were a pretty serious failure.

Please fill me in with the proper sock description.

Thanks,

Tom

Maybe you should re-read the thread!?? Many descriptions and options discussed so far what else are you looking for someone to make it for you??

21 - 40 of 57 Posts