Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always set up my rowing position by just kinda feeling it out. Does anybody know any standard geometry like when you are setting up a bike. In other words, if your femur is X and your arms are Y and you are Z tall, your distance from footbar to oarlocks should be Q and your seat should be W high in relation to your oarlocks etc. etc. Any input would be great! I'm thinking about resetting my rig and I'd love to hear ideas from the experts hear on the buzz. Thanks!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
When seated oarlocks make a straight line with your knee caps. Oar lock height is more relative to frame width than any thing else.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I am curious about fitting dimensions too. I just bought a new raft, a 16' Maravia Typhoon. I am going to put an NRS frame on it. I will sit on a Mad Cow box with a mini paco pad (tush Cush from Cascade). The MC box rests 5" above the bar plus an inch or so for the pad. I would also like to order Mad Cow captains boxes, but that will lock me into the length of the rowers compartment. If I ever want to adjust it longer, my captain box's tabs won't fit on the cross bars. If I want it shorter the boxes will be too long and won't fit. I was going to hold off on the boxes until I figure out where I like the length of the rowers compartment, but perhaps someone has a suggestion. I am 6'3". My old raft is a 14' Maravia Diablo on a Salmon River frame by Cambridge Welding. It has no adjustment and the rowing compartment was 24" long. The oars were always banging into my knees when I rowed. I sat on a box too. I'm going with 10" towers on the new frame to see if those help.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
649 Posts
If the mad cow boxes are tabbed on the long side than all you will need to do is just leave a cross member for them and you can still make your frame longer

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have a seat mounted on a dry box. When I use it I can use 6 inch tower because my knees drop down. When I use a seat bar that is flush with the top of my frame I use 8 inch towers because my knee come up. My height is 6' 2"

·
Registered
506 Posts
Andy I would put the captain boxes on hold until you dial in your frame. Row it some and make sure. You wouldn't want to be wrong.

Jim

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mowgli, get a hold of mttodd. He builds frames and could probably give you some very close numbers

Curtis, thanks for the input and the reference! I really want to play with the "fit" but I just think there's got to be an order of step to follow to help dial it in.

·
Banned
116 Posts
I don't even comment here anymore its pretty much a joke. You guys keep asking the same stupid questions and buying boats that don't fit wasting your money. Call James in Oregon and get a real frame and box ,problem solved. His boxes are 200 less then madcow because he actually builds them all at his facility and better welding and gaskets than madcow. And no I am not James
He is pretty much the man and has figured out all the dumb shit you guys post about already

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't even comment here anymore its pretty much a joke. You guys keep asking the same stupid questions and buying boats that don't fit wasting your money. Call James in Oregon and get a real frame and box ,problem solved. His boxes are 200 less then madcow because he actually builds them all at his facility and better welding and gaskets than madcow. And no I am not James
He is pretty much the man and has figured out all the dumb shit you guys post about already

Simply wow! Your view of the universe as all knowing of all things must be quite spectacular. It must be such a cool feeling to be perfect at everything. I hope you are truly happy with yourself.
Or maybe you should eat a Snickers, bro.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You're wrong, I've been in mad cows shop, they build their gear in house. Best welds and gaskets I've seen, love my dry box from them.

Sent from my QMV7B using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice! I'm curious to see what you come up with once the seat is in place.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got a feeling that kid is going to know his stuff when it comes to boating! You can see him figuring it all out. 👍👍👍

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't know James or madcow, but I agree with you second sentence. Just keep your frame tools handy and adjust until it's right. It's best to do this right above a rapid that scares the shit out of you, as you will be most efficient under pressure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts