1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well at least we get to use the water before California, who I noticed doesn't seem to be contributing anything toward the seeding.

·
Super Moderator
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that was one of the more interesting parts of the article - that CA, AZ and NV are paying as much as the CWCB:

...Water districts in Nevada, Arizona and California have joined eight districts that make up the Front Range Water Council and a few ski areas in funding Colorado's cloud-seeding program...
Since 2006, the Southern Nevada Water Authority, the California Six Agency Committee and the Central Arizona Conservation District have funded about half of the state's cloud-seeding efforts, matching the nearly $1 million the Colorado Water Conservation District has paid....

·
Registered
223 Posts
anybody have a knowledgable comment on the effects of the silver iodide on the human system or the environment that is put into the air and eventually falls to the ground? should i stop eating snow, even if it is white?

·
Registered
231 Posts
The comment on that article states:
by Rmarch on December 24th, 2011, 8:34 am #2264534

Under the guidelines of the United States Environmental Protection Agency Clean Water Act, silver iodide is considered a hazardous substance, a priority pollutant, and a toxic pollutant.

Chronic ingestion of iodides may produce iodism, which may be manifested by skin rash, running nose, headache, irritation of the mucous membranes, weakness, anemia, loss of weight and general depression. Chronic inhalation, ingestion or skin contact with silver compounds may cause argyria characterized by blue-gray discoloration of the eyes, skin and mucous membranes.[3]
===
Proponents would no doubt say that they are using very low concentrations; but the new machines are putting out a lot more (seems like that trend could continue). Intentionally putting particulates into the air seems like a dubious practice; I wonder why it does not violate the clean air act.

Anyone heard the story of a ski area that hired a native american medicine man to do a snow dance, in a bad drought year, and the snow dance worked? Cloud seeding won't work if there are no clouds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts