Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’m trying to dial in a new whitewater foam bench that I just got for my overnight setup.

I’d like to find a way to suspend gear underneath the bench. This spot would be for camp gear, so doesn’t need to be quickly accessible.

o y’all have any ideas on ways to go about this?

I’ve attached a photo to help visualize.

Many thanks!:)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Get a custom built drop bag that fits your space exactly. Jan at stitches and stuff will build you a awesome unit For a totally reasonable price. My drop bag carries my tent, sleeping bag/s, thermarest base camp pads, clothes, assorted bedding, blah blah blah. It all fits into a big dry bag which fits my space with room to spare for other BS on the sides. If you lose it in a flip you are fucked but with a bench strapped on top of it the chances are slim indeed. A good big/huge dry bag is the key to rolling like this. Plus, if you want to ride on someone else’s boat you can become what I call a one bagger. Throw it on, strap it down, let’s roll baby.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get a custom built drop bag that fits your space exactly. Jan at stitches and stuff will build you a awesome unit For a totally reasonable price. My drop bag carries my tent, sleeping bag/s, thermarest base camp pads, clothes, assorted bedding, blah blah blah. It all fits into a big dry bag which fits my space with room to spare for other BS on the sides. If you lose it in a flip you are fucked but with a bench strapped on top of it the chances are slim indeed. A good big/huge dry bag is the key to rolling like this. Plus, if you want to ride on someone else’s boat you can become what I call a one bagger. Throw it on, strap it down, let’s roll baby.
I should send her some photos… I feel like this setup is unusual with the bench I have… (see my photos in the reply above)

I’ve had Jan make me some stuff before. She’s awesome.

thanks 🙏

·
Registered
539 Posts
It would be better if you got some new side rails that made the frame extend to the end of your chafe strip. Much bigger drop bag for a nominal expense. Save the old ones for further frame projects that will undoubtedly pop up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah drop bag was my first thought also but I couldn't see a way to attach using a single rail. Also access becomes an issue with the non-removable bench. You can however attach a watershed bag using a single rail quite easily. Plug and play.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would be better if you got some new side rails that made the frame extend to the end of your chafe strip. Much bigger drop bag for a nominal expense. Save the old ones for further frame projects that will undoubtedly pop up.
Good idea… I actually have longer side rails.

I think accessing the drop bag from the front with a zipper that makes an upside down “U” is the ticket.
Will call Jan tomorrow.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Remember if you are stuffing all your stuff into a big dry bag you don’t need anything more than a cover and some straps. Jan’s standard drop bags in the appropriate size might be the ticket.

·
Registered
602 Posts
All great suggestions above and would agree a drop bag would be the appropriate addition if you could figure out a way to add it. From your photos it looks like your frame is back a bit far towards the rear of the boat and centering that will make you’re a life rowing a lot easier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All great suggestions above and would agree a drop bag would be the appropriate addition if you could figure out a way to add it. From your photos it looks like your frame is back a bit far towards the rear of the boat and centering that will make you’re a life rowing a lot easier.
you’re totally right… moved my frame forward. Excited to see how different it feels on the water.
Thank you 🙏

·
Registered
20 Posts
+1 for Good Vibes river gear, Josh and Meagan are awesome. I have a drop bag under my front bench and one of these cross bar duffels behind it facing the rowers seat.

·
Registered
224 Posts
A drop bag is your best friend. I had this one made by Stiches and Stuff. For multi-day trips, I replace this padded bench seat with a folding table. It works great for bulky things like camp chairs, pumps, fishing rod cases, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts