Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a group of fairly seasoned boaters that are interested in running clear creek this weekend. We have spent a lot on time on the Arkansas (Browns, Gorge, Pinnacle), and we have done Westwater and MFS, but have never run clear creek and it is so close to home. Looks like it is running pretty high right now, so I am not exactly sure what to expect… Sounds like a solid Class III run, but not sure at this level. Looking for any info and recommended put-ins and take-outs for running clear creek around Idaho springs….

·
Registered
804 Posts
Nearly all of clear creek will require Class IV skills or better this weekend. Fast water, big holes, and few eddies. Oh, and the creekbed is all sharp blast rock.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Clear Creek this weekend will solid IV+ with class VI swims. Which section are you considering running?? As posted above very few eddies and super fast COLD current. It is a super burly river with long protracted swims. Zero flatwater. Let me know I will run with you guys. The only moderate run will be from idaho springs down to the kermits takeout just above the lower canyon. It will solid III. all other sections will be IV+ to V

·
Registered
35 Posts
Call me - 20 yr local boater. Free Sunday mid day. 602-478-8810. Two days ago at 1000 (1400now) it was solid IV with very serious consequences if not done right. Green bridge to Tn 1 was big. Black Rock would step up to a very more serious commitment and need for safety.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice! Wait until the backyard run gets really high and then give it a shot. It's probably still a solid Class 3. There are a bunch of tubers that they closed the local creeks on, maybe you can give them a ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for all the great info. We plan on running Dumont down toKermits. We did not plan on going pastKermits due to the higher water. What isit like from Dumont down to Kermits? Ialso forgot to mention that we will be in a 13’ raft with a 3-4 person paddlecrew….

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dumont to Idaho springs will have some solid IV action in there, fallriver, nomad, phoenix and outer limits being the major drops. after that you will have nice class three with a really low pipe just before town park in Idaho springs. after that it will read and run to the kermits takeout. When are you going to run?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Silly iPhone, there are plenty of raft flipping features at these level. Last time the water was this high use to have at least two flips on commercial trips.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info. We will definitely be rigged to flip, just don't want to do anything stupid. Everyone in the group has run Class IV on the ark, westwater and on the MFS, just trying to get more beta on clear creek. Every time we drive by, we say we want to do it, and now we are. Seems like they are all Cass III-IV drops. Can you read and run, or do we scout. Not even sure if we will be able to stop and scout at this level. We plan on putting in on Sunday morning.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Anything thing above 900cfs on the Dumont section gets tough the holes are very sticky, especially Phoenix. I run it commercially and both of our 14' boats on Friday got surfed in the bottom hole in Phoenix and if you have trouble there you are right into another class IV rapid Deliverance. The rest of the rapids on that section are pretty straight forward. All the swims in Clear Creek out tough and there are very few places to catch an eddy at these flows. Also over 1000cfs the pipe just after Chicago Creek is not passable and the bridge at town park is also to low. We ran it today and just got under it at 900cfs. Be safe Clear Creek is no joke! It is very different from the Ark.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts