Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up with the Clear Creek gauge? It seems to be way to steady to be accurate. Seems like it should fluctuate from day to night and with changes in rainfall. I was on it yesterday and it felt lower than the 345 reported.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I find on your local runs it's much better to use a custom gauge to measure flow. For instance, I've found the amount of suction on Ture's nut sack to be a very reliable and accurate measurement of Black Rock flow.

200-300 cfs: nuts fully dropped
300-400 cfs: left nut begins to recede ~ 1 inch, right nut ~1/2 inch (not sure why the asymmetry)
400-550 cfs: about half distance
550-750 cfs: barely visible
>750 cfs: can't find Ture

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Hmm. Not sure. Upstream gauges are stabilizing as well with staggered bumps from west fork and the main stem. I think the soil is saturated and we are seeing slow discharge of water from the soil as it moves through porous soil and into the river. Slower decline than the typical spike of surface runoff. Its been holding in the 300ish range for quite a while now and the gauge has seemed right all last week to me. Haven't been on it since friday though. My guess would be that its correct...

·
Registered
505 Posts
If a custom guage involves analyzing someone's balls, I think I'll stick to the standard guage. But, that is a pretty funny way to determine flow.

·
Registered
843 Posts
BR > 750 cfs: Ture has retreated within the Bananna forest

I find on your local runs it's much better to use a custom gauge to measure flow. For instance, I've found the amount of suction on Ture's nut sack to be a very reliable and accurate measurement of Black Rock flow.

200-300 cfs: nuts fully dropped
300-400 cfs: left nut begins to recede ~ 1 inch, right nut ~1/2 inch (not sure why the asymmetry)
400-550 cfs: about half distance
550-750 cfs: barely visible
>750 cfs: can't find Ture

1 - 5 of 5 Posts