Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out, looks like no cfs reading until July:evil:
USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 06719505 CLEAR CREEK AT GOLDEN, CO.

DISCHARGE DATA CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE: A new rating is being developed at this site and is expected to be available in late July. Discharge data will not be computed until the rating is complete.

Anybody know how to convert the gage height?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Check this out, looks like no cfs reading until July:evil:
USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 06719505 CLEAR CREEK AT GOLDEN, CO.

DISCHARGE DATA CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE: A new rating is being developed at this site and is expected to be available in late July. Discharge data will not be computed until the rating is complete.

Anybody know how to convert the gage height?
Nope, all I can tell you is about 5:00 on the 15th of April it looked like 100 CFS give or take and a 4.45 or so on the height.

MR

·
Registered
154 Posts
Need the rating to convert stage to discharge.

The rating is what allows you to convert gage height (stage height) to flow (discharge). What they do is go out and survey the river channel and then take velocity measurements at stations across the channel. Multiply width (ft) x depth (ft) x velocity (ft/sec) = Flow (ft^3/sec). Without the rating, there's no way to know how much water is in the creek when the stage height is 4.45 feet.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
This blows. I think that they changed the streambed by the guage when they put the boulders in for fishing this spring. The new rating table will be the conversion from gauge height into flow, no idea how much it has changed.

The good news is that there are lots of gauges in the clear creek drainage. The next clear creek guage upstream is the gauge at lawson. Tributaries that are gauged between lawson gauge and clear creek gauge are: chicago creek, fall river, and north fork of clear creek. If you sum up cc @ lawson + the other 3 tribs you are withing 95% of the clear creek at golden flow from may 15 - june 30 last year. Between may 1- and may 15 the additive numbers were low for last year due to low elevation snowmelt that drove early high flows.

So until then you can just add the guages up and get the total flow. The data is available at the colorado department of water resources web site. I look at the clear creek section of the south platte basin to get the data.

District Data

Maybe the eddyflower guys can program a virtual golden gauge that sums up the numbers for us so we don't have to do the math everyday.

Looking forward to a good season on clear creek this year!

data below:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know it wouldn't be exact, but is there an average correlation of the flow at Lawson to that at Golden (like golden = Lawson*2)? That way you could just look at Eddy Flower, get the lawson flow and multiply. Save having to look up 3 flows on the water resources site. If the flow were known to within 100-150 cfs, I don't think it would change anyones plans?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Kent, Lawson to golden varies over the season. Early on the tribs put in more and the multiplier would be around 1.5ish. Late season lower tribs are done, and all thats left is coming from up high on the main stem, and the multiplier is about 1.2ish. This will get you as close as what you were thinking. I'd personally change plans within the 100-150 cfs error, but thats more for early and late season low water runs.

·
Registered
173 Posts
We implemented a work around...flows are back up!

Based on the information provided by Deepsouthpaddler we have combined the following gauges to give a reading for all stretches on Clear Creek starting at Upper Clear Creek (Kermits). We added the following formulas to give a reading that is within the 97% accuracy based on a comparison of data from last year (Golden to the 4 combined gauges). The formula is: Lawson gauge + Chicago Creek gauge + Fall River gauge + North Clear Creek gauge.

Currently the following runs have been updated:
- Upper Clear Creek (Kermits)
- Middle Clear Creek
- Black Rock
- Lower Clear Creek
- Golden Play Park

Thanks to RioJedi and Deepsouthpaddler for the information! Bring on the run off!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Good job eddyflower boys! The clear creek at golden gauge is probably the number 1 gauge I check as I run clear creek more than any other run in a season.

Any chance that we would be able to trend the calculated flow? I know, I'm asking for the icing on the cake here...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Golden Gauge is down currently because it needs to be re-calibrated. They recently did quite a bit of in-channel work for the fish habitat right around the gauge. This of course is causing issues for it. just a heads up on that end of it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts