Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
It is a really fun creek. Super fast and continuous and about three miles long. Beautiful alpine valley. There are no real "drops" just a fairly conituous, Class V-. I usually try and take three cars up there and leave one at the take out and one at the beaver ponds between the second and third gorges. The first two gorges are the most fun so we run them twice and then run all the way through the third gorge. The third gorge is not really worth running below 250cfs or so and the creek just gets more fun the more water there is. I would consider 200 the minimum flow although I know it has been run as low as 75cfs.

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I wanted to add that a guide would help a lot. It's really tough to scout effectively and it's pretty continous. If you're a V+ boater it shouldn't be a problem though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
JC, i don't mean to be argumentative, but i tend to disagree. i agree it's continuous, but V- boaters can certainly get down this run after an adequate scout of the first and second gorges on the shuttle. i thought the Bible described the locations of these pull-offs fairly well.

the other thing is, yeah snowmelt is snowmelt, but the water in this creek is f*ing cold!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

anyone interested in running this one when it comes up a little bit more....i am just getting into V creeking and would love a good team.

matt

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'll probably be running it every afternoon it's going starting in late may (I camp at the take out all summer). Drop me a line.
(303) 594-9733
Joe

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'll head up this week as soon as it passes 200cfs (my standards are lowering every drought year) it is still too low. 150 or so is pretty scratchy despite what Tom and his psycho crew are willing to tolerate.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Harvey, gimme a call when you are headed up there. Always up for an afterwork run to CC (once it gets to a "reasonably low" 200).

To others.....the creek is definitely 5- read and run. If you can catch small eddies in relatively swift but low volume current with a few moves here and there (and youre a slodi 4+ or 5- boater) you should be good to go bro!

This is a good intro to creeking run for people who are READY to take that step.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've been granted Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as days off this week. What time and place could I meet up with one or more of you to hit this. It will be my first time dwon this run so a guide would be cool.

Thanks in advance.

Ed Hansen

·
Registered
331 Posts
-oops- double post

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Just a heads up - there is new wood in clear creek - a beaver has been working just below the put in and some aspens fell across the creek but can be scooted around this is within 1/2 mile of the put in - also there are two logs at the start of the second gorge - you can get around them but take a look - it could be a problem if someone was unaware of them -

1 - 13 of 13 Posts