Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one more week of semi-vacation before the onslaught begins. I'd love to get out and enjoy the water again. Anyone in?

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Yep. I'll be doing some boating. Wed, and all weekend most likely. Probably get another Browns trip, probably Numbers again as well...I also see that Elevenmile is running...probably the best III-IV in the state...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Where is the putin and typical take out for 11 mile? The AW description doesn't really give land marks for putin and take out. American Whitewater - NWRI - South Platte 01. Eleven Mile Reservoir to Lake George
The whole run is roadside. At the bottom of the canyon you will encounter the giant V+ rapid first thing. Find somewhere to takeout above this, anywhere your comfortable with. Then drive upstream nearly to the dam until you come to another class V rapid, put in just below this. In between are literally dozens of super fun III-IV rapids (and likely lots of fishermen). Enjoy! Hopefully I can get up there before they drop the flow, but hopefully they raise it even more since there is almost another 100 cfs coming into the res. then going out.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The gage is here: Detail Graph
Flows are good when it gets to 300 CFS.

The best TO and PI for a III-IV run are 1.8 and 6.6 miles from the toll booth, respectively. The biggest and longest rapid of the run starts at the first bridge above the TO and continues to within a few 100 yds of the TO. There was wood blocking the leftside at the start of this rapid which can be missed by starting against the right bank. The PI is just above a sticky ledge.

There are also a couple of trees across less than a half mile from the start. The first can be skirted against the bank, but the second can only be bumped over with flows close to 300.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
The gage is here: Detail Graph
Flows are good when it gets to 300 CFS.
I would not agree. I have only boated over 300 once, and yes it was better, but anything over 200 is fun. The river is very channelized through this stretch (similar to Numbers). I would say 250 is definitely worth the drive.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hojo, if I were you I wouldn't make the drive unless it's at least 250. Also, there is a six dollar fee to get in to Eleven Mile Canyon, and the state parks pass does not cover this.

If you, or anyone else, want to go sometime I'd be happy to take you down. This is one of my favorite runs for the scenery and it's the closest creek run to Colorado Springs. I could go Wednesday afternoon, and I am probably going Friday morning, providing flows stay up.

Logan, keep in mind the reason it's running is due to rain and DWB trying to balance water levels steadily at Cheesman dam for the repair work.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Patrick,
I may take you up on a friday run. I was considering tomorrow but I think I'll pass after having run Lawson today. We had like 300cfs and it was awesome this late in the season. I'll PM you if I can go friday AM.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I have done it a few more times since then, and I guess knowing the lines makes a difference. The conversation on that thread was pertaining to someone taking a shredder down it...before posting on that thread I ran Elevenmile and hit my head good twice. I guess I have worked on my dufek and boof skills cause it find it fun at those flows now.

Nice catch calling me on that Cadster.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Julie, you're welcome to come Friday morning too if you want, but it's going to be early. We are planning on meeting there at 9:30. Depending on traffic, it takes between forty-five minutes to an hour to get to Eleven Mile Canyon from here. If you are interested though just let me know.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
359 in Elevenmile now...damn I wish I could bail on work. I have a prior commitment Saturday, but if the water holds I will be going to 11 mile Sunday...if anyone wants to join for that?

·
Registered
614 Posts
We’ve stolen this thread from the Betties.

I prefer a Saturday run meeting either at 10 or 11 AM at the parking lot below the dam and before the toll booth.

I’d be coming from Buena Vista if someone wants to car pool.

Hoping to run the Granite or Numbers on Sunday, too.

Bruce

·
Registered
299 Posts
If flows hold, I might look at getting some beginners on it Saturday. Either way I'd definitely be down to go. Also, it is definitely worth the drive at 359. I am keeping my fingers crossed for more rain. Julie, I apologize for the hijack of your thread. If you can't make it Friday, more than welcome to come Saturday.

·
Registered
614 Posts
With the reservoirs being full, Saturday seems to be a sure thing.

FWIW, there looks to be a Betty joining me for the Numbers on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm out...so depressing. Maybe on Sunday. Have fun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts