Mountain Buzz banner

Clamps for 1" Sched 40 Pipe?

2083 31
Hi gang;
I want to float this out there to answer some of my questions. We make frame clamps for 1.25" and 1.5" schedule 40 aluminum see our website in my signature. Our 1.25" are interchangeable with 1.25. I'm considering machining a 1" clamp, but am uncertain about the demand.

• Does anybody want these,
  • how many people would buy them, and
  • in what quantities do people need them?

If I get overwhelming demand, I will fire up the machines.
Reactions: MT4Runner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1,370 Posts
Several out there now. WWMW, DRE and bettermounts.com
Guy does not show any bimini mounts on the website. Perhaps if I called him, he might have some? I don’t know.
DRE only shows mounts for their pipe sizes, at double prices, plus the added nonsense of abandonment of the ID and OD measurements. That can only add to the confusion.
Bettermounts also showing mounts for NRS sized tubing only. So, my suggestion for making mounts for 1.25” OD tubing still seems reasonable to me. They’re not readily available anywhere that I can find.

· Registered
1,370 Posts
No problem…I’ve already mentioned it to tcook, but got no response. It hasn’t been a pressing item, so I haven’t really pushed it. I’m sure Guy could do it eventually…but he’s usually pretty backed up.

· Vendor
29 Posts
Hi Wallrat, Zack, RevolverOutdoors,

I'm almost back home after being in the great outdoors for over a month. We were fortunate to go rafting on the MFS and then follow that up with a slow road trip to AK!

The smaller tubing size appears decidedly less popular. I believe it is gaining in popularity so there should be more support coming. I do plan on making bimini mounts and other hardware for that size, but I'm not particularly close to paying back the tooling for the 1.5 (1.9" OD) bimini mounts yet, and those were many times more popular on the poll that I took on my original thread 'Shade on the River' that has been removed (still working on getting it back). If I can get enough interest, say 10 sets, I can go ahead and invest, but that won't come close to paying for tooling, let alone time spent to set it up and run it. I don't want to be a downer here, but in order to achieve the low prices that I strive for there needs to be tooling money spent, and in order to spend that there needs to be some volume to pay it back.

There may be a better business case for billet machined frame brackets, bimini mounts, etc for the smaller size that a company like RevolverOutdoors would be a good fit for. Hopefully this thread helps figure out the need and gets some product made just like my thread did for the 1.5" bimini mounts!

Wallrat, in the meantime, what would you think about an adapter? I could get some of those made up to allow you to use the bimini brackets I currently make? The bracket would be a 1.66" OD aluminum disk with an off-center hole in it to fit your frame. I would split it into two parts so that the u-bolt would clamp to it and to your frame effectively.

Cheers,

-Thomas

· Registered
1,370 Posts
I appreciate the thought…but I’ve been using wooden side decks, and mounting the bimini fittings on them. That works, but I’d rather not have the extra weight of the wood. I’ll wait until a proper mount is available. One of the reasons I chose the WWMW frame was the lighter weight. I’d like to get four mounts, since my bimini has rear struts. So, you’re nearly half way to your minimum consideration. Thanks for the reply!

· Registered
715 Posts
@Wallrat. WWMW does make Bimini mounts. You have to email guy to get them. I little spendy, but like everything guy does, they are functional works of art.
Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle frame Bicycle fork

As far as clamps for other things, I’d love to see another offering. Something with drilled and tapped mounting holes on a one face for attaching various accessories like cup holders, fly rod holder, umbrella, dividers for compartments, etc.

To the OP, I say go for it.

· Vendor
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting timing, I was about to contact you about this very size fitting. I would be very interested in getting 10 or so fittings for 1" Schedule 40 aluminum pipe (OD = 1.32). I would like to use these fittings to add some additional cross bars and other stuff to my welded cat frame that is made of 1" schedule 40 aluminum.
Copy that.

· Vendor
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not in a big rush. Just placed an order with the local Hyside dealer for nimbus tubes. Hope to get them sometime in the spring. I don't head down to Bolivia till December 2023. But would love to test my frame design during high water this next year.
OK, I'll keep you updated

· Vendor
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to a suggestion by Zach Baird, we took the design forward and finalized the parts, and we will be doing a pre-order program on our website. Link in my signature. If we sell 50 of these, we will go forward with manufacturing. See details on our site. It's kinda like a homegrown KickStarter campaign. Cheers!
Hand tool Tool Bicycle part Auto part Plastic

Hand tool Tool Carmine Magenta Cutting tool

Bicycle part Metal Font Rim Cable

Composite material Plant Titanium Carmine Pipe

1 - 20 of 32 Posts