Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey from across the pond! Life in Japan in going well - I slalom kayak on the weekends and raft guide occasionally. The creeks here aren’t flowing especially well (slow typhoon season) so I am sticking to my local, the Tamagawa. While the severe lack of good play spots have kept me out of my play boat since I arrived, I have been learning about a lot of technique that I never new existed…which is cool.

Anyway, since my job here lacks any sort of movement, I have decided to come back to the US next August and go to grad school. I am considering 3 universities, at this point, and was wondering if you all could give me your opinion. Each school was chosen on the following “in order to live” required criteria: a place that I can kayak year round, a place that I can climb/snowboard (occasionally), and finally a place that has a good (kayak) community. Here are my options: Mars Hill, NC (15 min from Asheville), Portland, Oregon, and Colorado (although it doesn’t meet the `year round` criteria…it would be nice to stay native).

Any suggestions or stories/opinions would be greatly appreciated! Hope you all are enjoying the snow.

Cheers.
Maya

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Try to do a search on it, I think somebody asks that every other month.

·
Registered
463 Posts
if you really want to boat year round, screw grad school buy a van and live down river. that's the best way i can think of to get 300+ days in per year. this whole grad school thing stinks.

portland is cool and has great boating and a good earth friendly community. on the weekday you'll be relagated to fighting the crowds at bob's hole and similar locals but on the weekend you can escape and get to the goods.

fort collins ain't a bad town in CO. you can get on the poudre every night after work/school when it's running and the crowds aren't to problem at all. we don't have much park and play but the river running and creeking rocks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Pacific Northwest has the absolute best paddling bar none, and somehow it has remained a secret. Hands down, PDX it is!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with FORCE grad school blows! :evil: Good luck getting in time doing anything you want to do. I've been living in Boulder for five years now and since I started gradschool my boating, climbing, and snowboarding have steadily declined. :cry:

My advice - screw school - and get a job that you can deal with that gives you as much time off as you want! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Vancouver

I know it is not in the USA, but check out University of British Columbia, it fits your criteria well.

I am a kayaking grad student at UBC and find it to be wonderful.

·
Charc in = charc out
475 Posts
based on criteria you set forth, & throwing out the towns/schools you mentioned, squamish BC is your call, w/ vancouver coming in 2nd. kayaking: duh. snowboarding: heard of whistler? climbing: the "chief" is like half-dome on the ocean. cool, progressive people? yup.

ok, so that's not really an option. factor in the schools/towns & your only real option is Pdx. year round kayaking. year round snowboarding. year round climbing & mt biking. surfing. very cool & livable city w/ great culture & arts scene. seafood. damn good coffee (*jitter, jitter*) .. the other thing is BC is still weekendable from pdx, as is norcal.

i've lived btw the SE & CO all my life until about 2 mos ago & would consider moving back to CO at some point, more cuz of my freinds than anythign else. the SE is ok if all you ever think about is kayaking & nascar. & even then, if you don't live in fayetteville, yr waiting on rain, which is hardly guaranteed. i lived thru some pretty dismal loooong droughts on the east coast when even the daily releases on the green were too low. at that point, you just hunker down inside next to an ac unit watchin nascar & drinkin ol' mil. factor snowboarding outta yr life altogether.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hey ToddG, What's wrong with Kayaking and NASCAR. You forgot GREAT College football!!!!! Go DAWGS!!!!! That's right byatches!!!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hey ToddG, What's wrong with Kayaking and NASCAR. You forgot GREAT College football!!!!! Go DAWGS!!!!! That's right byatches!!!

·
Charc in = charc out
475 Posts
AAAAND basketball!

but i still wouldn't move back :)

ps, and hurricanes. my folks & brother are splitting south FLA for higher ground as we speak .. creeks'll be runnin big soon ..

·
Registered
709 Posts
No way bro. There's a lot of shit to do in the SE and w/ the hurricane season and year round rain there's always some place to creek within 2 hours of Ashville.

Nascar? WTF is Nascar?

Go dawgs
UGA Alumn 05'

Scott

·
Charc in = charc out
475 Posts
not sure which response to use, so i'll let you pick your fave ..

(1) uh, scott ... why'd ya move to effin' colorado then?

(2) of course you're right, there's plenty to do: you can shuck corn, go mudboggin', shoot up some shit, fry some meat, play yer pa's banjo, skin a possum, pumpkin, design a new pissing calvin sticker, plant some new vines in the toilet bowl out in the front yard, throw some "tars" up on the roof of the single-wide .. tons to do!

(3) keep the green, i'm gonna do laps on skookum creek this weekend.

:) XOXO :)
tg

·
Registered
989 Posts
Haha! It took me a second to get "pumpkin" in your list of things to do in the SE. It appeared at first to be a noun without a verb. But then it occurred to me...pump kin! Almost pissed.

·
Registered
517 Posts
virginia tech

My very biased vote would be Virginia Tech...sweet college town and mountains. the New River and many creeks. Andy Holcomb and many other badasses paddled for the whitewater team there. And if you like college football....there are no better fans!!!!!! (all my inlaws are Dawgs fans--i also went to Georgia Tech....biatches)
Also depends what you want to study. Asheville is another very nice area.

·
Charc in = charc out
475 Posts
BSOE, it's that time of year. i couldn't resist.

Scott, you know i'm just bustin' yr balls. the SE has sick boating & the best boaters anywhere. how's FC goin'? it's tough this time of year when there's no water or snow. you can always go roost yr dirtbike though. the NW is treating me well. took a job in portland (even tho i live in seattle). tons of creeks are runnin & i have 3-day weekends, so i'm gonna hit it hard starting tomorrow.

endo-guy, i agree on blacksburg being sweet and all .. but the original poster laid out some criteria that included snowboarding as a priority. the boating is epic there & around asheville, but point is, you can have it ALL epic in other places, which seems to be what the OP is looking for. hmm, aren't we all ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts