Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay anyone out there ever bought a PVC or Hypalon raft direct from china? I am thinking of buying one from Noah Yacht co. in china. Good idea or bad only $480 USD and about $250 for shipping. It seems like a good deal anyone have an opinion on this one please help.

·
Since you asked, Yes, I have an opinion. Buy local. There are so great boats made in Idaho and Colorado.
F#@k China.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so what do you get if you pay so much for a hypalon raft, I found them for 1500 and less? if you say by local then why are they buying from the same guys in Korea or china. there are no real local there is just imports why not cut out the middle man other than the warranty but for the price you can buy one every year for 4yrs and still have money left over.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Well, what are the stats? What denier are the floor and tubes? How many chambers and what type of valves? Where are the valves located on the boat? How is the boat assembled? You need to see if you are comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes they are apples to apples cold hand glued same diameter tubes and baffles, removable thwarts, exterior valves, 1100 denier floor and tubes, front and rear handles and 12 exterior D-rings the only thing they dont include but can add is the quick drains. They do warranty the seams and boat too but I would have to ship back that is a down fall. so what about a NRS mexico built raft is worth 5k or more? I really dont know and the hole local thing to me is not worth 3500. can someone tell me?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since you asked, Yes, I have an opinion. Buy local. There are so great boats made in Idaho and Colorado.
F#@k China.
so where are all the rafts made Korea, china, or mexico ( Home of all NRS made rafts) If there is a local I might consider I am an american boy born and bread....

·
Registered
844 Posts
Local would be Sotar and Jack's Plastic. 1100 is for light weight rafts that usually see just fishing duty on flat rivers or relatively easy white water. 1680 tubes and 2520 floor is much more resilient to rock abuse in the tougher whitewater. To offer a boat so cheap, they are either using slave kids to assemble, cutting costs elsewhere or a combination of both. Go ahead and buy it if you want, just don't be surprised if it falls apart in short order. I have heard of people destroying the cheaper boats in just one season. I know I will get 20+ years out of my Hyside and if I sell it, I will be able to sell it for close to what I paid for it as long as I keep it in good shape. Either way I will get my monies worth with many hundreds of class IV and V boating miles.

If you are just boating flatland Kansas, it does not matter if your raft implodes on the river. Not the sort of scenario one wants when rafting Gore!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whats up with the purdy mouth shit are you gay or something? And I am not saying I am going to buy the China shit this is a test to see what people think not there sexuality. Where are Hyside made?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Not here, but that is not the point. Quality is quality, be it in boats or gear when it comes to sports like rafting/kayaking, skiing, mountaineering and ice climbing. Feel free to be the test guinea and report back in a few years on how it is. Personally I would watch the classifieds and if you look you can find good deals. I spent $2500 on a 1 yr old boat with no commercial abuse complete with electric and barrel pump, paddles, life jackets and helmets for 8. Not really stuff I will wear, but good enough for when I take friends down Browns. I watched the classifieds for 4 months and when I saw my raft I pounced. I ended up heading to the fort to pick her up and even skied Loveland on the way to make the trip more worthwhile!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no no I wasnt saying you were gay someone has allready posted crap here and have nothing to say better. I am really still shopping around and checking all the postings on craigslist and here as well. this is just a sounding to get other peoples opinion thanks for your time. happy rafting

·
Registered
330 Posts
no no I wasnt saying you were gay someone has allready posted crap here and have nothing to say better. I am really still shopping around and checking all the postings on craigslist and here as well. this is just a sounding to get other peoples opinion thanks for your time. happy rafting
i wish you the best of luck with whatever raft you buy, and after you buy it... please stick around. i think you'd really enjoy it around here during the season :twisted:

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
Brett, You asked a question and got a response. Probably not the response you wanted. If your set on buying a cheap raft, Buy it and let us know how it turnes out and what you end up running with it. BUT, I'm of the opinion that a used name brand raft will last longer than a cheap Korean/Chinese one.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I bought a Maxxon cat 4 years ago, first large inflatable I had ever owned. I beat the hell out of the thing learning how to row. I put over 100 days on in the first 2 years. I then upgraded to a Jacks Plastic cat. The JP cat is way better, but cost about 3 times as much.

I know the maxxon will start to come apart at the seams, but so far it is tough as shit. It's not pretty, I get shit all the time for having from gear snobs, but now I have a boat I can loan to friends. The Maxxon made several trips down the Piedra this year, no damage to the tubes, only my frame.

I bet the Maxxon tubes have close to 200 days on them, not bad for $700 comes to about $3.50 a day. They have hit every rock from Loma and Flaming Gorge to Powell, some several times. I have been impressed with it, learned to row with it, and abused it. Although my next little cat will be a Sotar, if you are on a budget look around at chinese inflatables. I think many people dont want to admit they paid $3500 - $5000 for a boat when you can get on the water, do same rivers for 1/3 of that. Sure the hyside is a way better boat, and would be my recommendation if you can afford it. I think the best boat to own is the one you are sitting on with your beer and gear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the url is noahyacht.cn it is there drift boats. I am wrong on the denier of the hypalon it is higher than I stated. you will have to e-mail them to get the price and stats you want they will make any boat you want I copied the stats for a 14ft nrs boat to the letter and he said it would be $1180 USD with out shipping that was $100 to $200 by sea depending on customs and duties if any. just ask them they have been really good about e-mailing right back.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts