Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the question

Two children 4 1/2 and 6, both are good to great swimmers (for their age)
Both have rafted rivers such as the chama and pump house

Would it be reasonable to take them for a late season (aug) likely low water year trip down the main salmon. Having them likely walk the two or three bigger rapids. And how feasible is walking those rapids with kids while one oars person takes the raft down river.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,871 Posts
absolutely. even late August can be very hot down there though, but I am a wimp when it comes to heat. Umbrellas or a canopy maybe.

Lots of LARGE sandy beaches and relatively warm water. Even though easy(ish) I would love to see you have backup - as in another boat along. Pretty sure there is trail along the river at least on one side or the other all the way.

Your level of expertise and comfort and big class 3 will guide you. And that time of year most of it won't be so big.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks crave

We absolutely will have at least 3 rafts possibly 4 with safety kayakers as well.

·
Registered
317 Posts
How many days would you recommend at med-low water? I always feel like we are rushing. Are there any good rest days, or hike days? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
My rafting buddy got his granddaughter started on the Main Salmon at age 4, and now she's 13 and rowing the raft with her mom! It's a great family trip. Awesome camps & beaches, lots of cool history stops, and fun rapids. My friend's granddaughter called rapids "splashies" when she was little. She loved helping in the kitchen and washing the dishes. There is a river trail on river right pretty much the whole way down. Make sure you bring a tarp for shade. August can be hotter than hell, but the water temp is awesome. Lots of sunscreen and a good hat for the little (and big) peeps. The Main is my all time favorite river trip. You'll love it. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.
KJ

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
How many days would you recommend at med-low water? I always feel like we are rushing. Are there any good rest days, or hike days? Thanks.
The commercials do it in 6 days/5 nights. That's the standard. Take the max number of days your group size allows. We keep our group to 10 or less so that we can take layovers (only allowed in non-reserve camps). Good hikes all over the place. Last year we floated down to Spring Bar to take-out and took an extra night on the river. It was great. We didn't even care about the road across the river. Being on "River Time" is the best place to be.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
We've got a July 31st launch with a bunch of kids in the 4 to 6 range. They've all had substantial river time- they've been on the San Juan, Labyrinth, the Smith (MT), and stuff like Pimphpuse and R-HT. We're planning on having them walk at least 3; whatever looks sketchy. I've been down a few times at low water, and most of the named rapids are pretty straightforward. One thing to start talking to your kids about is rattlesnakes and how to avoid places where they hang out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Main is a great kids trip. My kids were 5 & 7 when they went for the first time, now we try to make it an annual July/August trip. Five days is a bit quick, go for 6 or more. I have not seen a bunch of rattlers, but I am sure they are in there. I have had trips with a lot of yellow jackets, by a lot I mean all members of our party were stung 2 times or more. It varies from year to year, but plan on bringing sting-ease and if there are bee allergies on the trip, take multiple Epi pens. As others have mentioned, on-boat & camp shade help take the edge off.

·
Super Moderator
2,871 Posts
Speaking of epipens we had to jump through hoops one year to get a doc to 'prescribe' an epipen for a Selway trip for someone who didn't have one and was highly, highly allergic to bees and poison ivy.

Is this still the case? We fortunately didn't have to use it and I threw it out years ago, but would like to carry one prophylactically.

FWIW - I have been teaching my daughters to 'swim' in class 1,2 riffles starting at age six. With me and solo next to the boat. There are a few drops out there that would be perfect for such a thing, if you are so inclined. My kids love it and the water temp in August would be awesome for this.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Speaking of epipens we had to jump through hoops one year to get a doc to 'prescribe' an epipen for a Selway trip for someone who didn't have one and was highly, highly allergic to bees and poison ivy.

Is this still the case? We fortunately didn't have to use it and I threw it out years ago, but would like to carry one prophylactically.
That's a pretty silly situation if they indeed had legit allergies that could lead to anaphylaxis, not just a mild reaction. That person should seek a different doc if they aren't being an advocate for their patient. But that is the responsibility of the person with the severe allergy.

However is is extremely unlikely that docs are going to start handing out prescription meds for just anyone to have in their 1st aid kits. (I'm not saying maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for someone with at least first aid training.)

My kid has a severe allergy and we carry Epi Pens, multiple, if in remote areas. In my experience getting a pen was as easy as any other persciription. See the doc. Get a script. Go to the pharmacy and pick it up.

Also check the expire dates every so often because the Epi Pens do have a shelf life.

·
Shapp
1,823 Posts
We took my 5 year old neice on the Main, she loved it and even took a swim with her mom when they got bumped out in a Class III. But she has been on multi-day trips since she was 2. I would go for as many days as the permit allows. If your already going to spend the money to get there and pay for the shuttle, might as make the most of it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think that if you explain the lack of emergency services for the trip you are going on - a doctor would certainly prescribe emergency meds. I've been in charge of an e kit for lots of multi day trips including the grand and had no problem getting antibiotics, extra epipens, prescription burn cream, etc. Maybe it's because I'm a nurse but I don't think so.

This thread made me feel a lot better about our June trip on the Salmon with our 11 and 12 year old. My daughter has severe bee allergies - so I'm glad we're missing the late summer bee fest. Can't wait.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt, but I had a medical person once tell me that epi's are fine as long as they don't get cloudy or discolored, which takes about 4 years IME. Another important drug for allergies is liquid or quick dissolve benadryl. I have had instances where the epi didn't help and the benadryl did. And this was in an ER so my old epi wasn't a factor. Both are short acting and prednisone is another allergy kit tool for severe reactions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are planning to run with kids late July/early august but got shut out permit wise. wife is a pediatrician and buddies wife is a nurse. Don't know how many you have lined up on your permit but if you had space ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts