Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
If most of the resevoirs are full in the south platte drainage, why would bailey run short and at 300 max. Just an inocent ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
With Dillon Res. as full as it is right now, they're going to have to move some water one way or the other, east or north. At least to me, it seems like Bailey/ Foxton will run soon, and if not, the Upper Blue will be crankin' once run-off starts up there.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey paul, this is from an old post by tim kelly:

"As for the river, I've paddled it as low as 180 and would do that anytime though "Let's make a deal" is really marginal at that level. Water does channel nicely through SP at 180 so you can float it. Around 300 is a great level. It gets pushy above that."

dan

·
Registered
490 Posts
Before you all get really excited, I'd make sure you have a takeout plan for Cheese unless you're planning on going the distance to the resevoir. I was in that area last summer and the EZ road down to the old TO is gated since the fires. You can still get in there, you just need to have a good plan.

Search old posts for more info.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks Danger. For starters...

Low: 0-149
Too Low: 150-249
Medium: 250-349
High: 350-449
Crankin: 450+

If anyone has experience on this run and would like to provide feedback I would be happy to update it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey I went and scouted this run in Febuary. The road in coming from Lake George is blocked by numerous downed trees. Not the kind you can just get out and pull of the road either. The road down to the take out was gated and a sign that said no motorized vehicles. The hike out of the canyon with just a pack was almost too much. 3 miles up that road was a pain in the butt. At the top of the first rapid there is a log jam that has well over 30 logs in it. It's pretty much a bridge on river left that you can walk across out into the middle of the river. River right was cover with snow so I couldn't tell if it was clear. But well before I ever got down there I saw 3 or 4 trees that you would have to portage on the way down. I came to one spot, that I couldn't recognize, that had no real good way around if you wanted to portage. Rock faces on both river left and river right. You would probably have to climb up and over a couple hundred feet in elevation to get around. Or just jump into the river. Probably about a 10 to 15 foot drop. Yeah it could have been the water fall but the lead up to it was cruel and unusual. With the ice and snow it was hard to really have a good idea of what was going on so just take my advise semi-lightly. Things could change if the run off pushes allot of it down. If anyone decides they want to give it a whirl let me know. I might be interested. I will probably hike back into it again now that the snows gone and see what I can do about the road and figure a better way down to the take out. Last time I hiked out 12 miles back to my truck. Not recommended.

·
Registered
882 Posts
That description is consistent with what I heard DOW guys say about deadfall in the Hayman Fire area - trees are still falling down and getting in the river all over the place.

·
Registered
191 Posts
CRC lists the Lake George gauge. That's what we went off of the one time I've been there. It was around 210cfs if I remember right. Seemed like a good level to get to know it.

I'd vote for the Lake George gauge to be listed, but I'd check both anyway.

Looks like the road is open: http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/hayres/hayman_open_roads_trails_1.15.04.pdf

Dan call me if you go!

Jed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts