Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
The link above refers to Alreco in NE Denver. Much cheaper than DRE, but the material is not anodized so will leave black marks on your boat.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Its been a while but they had no problem getting around 90' of 6063 anodized. OP, non-anodized will also leave black marks on a boat.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Also consider the acceptable tolerance variables in schedule 40 pipe. Make sure you can measure it before you buy it. The wall thicknesses, ID, and OD can vary considerably. This only matters if you are slip fitting pieces but can cause issues. I made a frame this spring using LoPros and had to have all my crossbars turned out on a lathe so they would fit. I would have better off paying a little more for the NRS tubing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called Alreco--- they can get anodized for quite a bit cheaper than DRE, but you have to buy it in 500lb/ ~540ft increments! I'm really only looking for on the order of 10s of feet, so I think that might be out.

Our local metal distributor up in Fort Collins wont even order anodized, unfortunately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
Check metalsupermarket.com I bought 1 1/4" sched 40, in SLC for under $ 3.00 ft They will deliver. To save money I bought in 20' lenghts + picked up myself

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pipe is measure by I.D. Tube is measured by O.D. Nrs pipe is 6061 and for all practical purposes is not bendable, the anodizing wreaks havok on welds too. If you want something that can be bent get some 6063 instead. Do what you want to with it and then take it to an anodizer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess the other option is to get the pipe anodized. Anyone know how much it would ost to have ~50ft of 1.5" sch 40 aluminum anodized in the northern colorado area? Any Suggestions on anodizers?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Pipe is measure by I.D. Tube is measured by O.D. Nrs pipe is 6061 and for all practical purposes is not bendable, the anodizing wreaks havok on welds too. If you want something that can be bent get some 6063 instead. Do what you want to with it and then take it to an anodizer.
So two questions, and I apologize to the OP, because I know this is not discussion you were after, but what is the difference between tube and pipe? also doesn't NRS sell 6063 and 6061?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I guess the other option is to get the pipe anodized. Anyone know how much it would ost to have ~50ft of 1.5" sch 40 aluminum anodized in the northern colorado area? Any Suggestions on anodizers?
You may also want to consider powder coating. I don't know what it costs to anodize but I just had pipe powder coated and it looks great and in my opinion it will last longer. As a side note, my new yokes came powder coated from NRS instead of anodized like they used to be.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The anodize wears off and still leaves black marks on your boat.
Maybe if you are an outfitter or you drag your frame across sandpaper.

I do neither and havent noticed any frame marks due to the nrs pipe, although the yokes are painted and they leave marks. Maybe there is a difference in the anodization thickness of the nrs vs the dre pipe?

I know unanodized pipe will leave marks every trip. Same goes with dryboxes, and nrs hangars leaving permanent marks on the coolers (for the price they charge they really should anodize them)

Of course my boat isnt used every day of the week.

The question is how much does powdercoating cost vs the anodized pipe, and how will you feel the first time you chip or nick or wear into the paint job?

·
Registered
127 Posts
There is an anodizer here in Boise, he offers different levels of thickness based on your application. He has options for cosmetic situations or items that will see different levels of abuse. The heavy duty stuff he does is extremely durable, it costs more than powder coating though. I built a frame last winter and ran it this summer to make sure it was exactly as I wanted it. I am currently trying to decide whether to powder coat or anodize it. After a little research and testing some samples from a few local companies it is my opinion that heavy duty anodizing is more durable, it is also more expensive. Both powder coating and anodizing can be done clear to minimize the appearance of scratches or dings. Both can also be done in a wide range of colors if you want something that stands out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts