Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for the best deal on some 1" cam webbing straps. Was talking with Mr. Salamander Paddle Gear/New River strap maker himself and he wouldn't sell me straps unless i went through his retailers or website. Unfortunately I'll now go to harbor freight and pay almost half as much. HF has two dollar straps plus an extra 20 percent off coupon. Anyone else know of a better deal out there right now?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Not cheaper but Backcountry.com has NRS straps on sale for 10% off right now.

I might recommend avoiding going the "cheap" route when it comes to the straps holding upwards of a couple thousand dollars worth of gear securely to your boat/tubes. As I understand it Harbor Freight may not be the best for quality control and their straps have relatively low listed SWL or breaking strengths. If/when you flip the force generated by a major hydraulic could easily stress your straps to the limit. There is a reason most of the WW brands are going to stronger (either wider or better technical materials) cam straps. Throw in UV degradation and things could get grim for cheapo straps made overseas with limited QC and unknown tolerances/specs.

Just a thought...your mileage may vary.

Phillip

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually really like new river straps, which I understand are salamander, but i prefer to go to a store and get them. Just the fast food american in me I guess. I know HF are garbage, but in the six or seven seasons I have been running them I have had zero failures. I know they're weak, so if its a critical point I slap two on there. They're so cheap I just keep going back to them. I cut off the excess import webbing and buy cheap buckles and stitch even more straps. They're inferior in every way...except for cost. In the last several seasons I have had multiple failures from new river and nrs webbing rotting and snapping, and I have also seen some smashed cascade outfitters buckles.

·
Jared
734 Posts
I ordered a set from strapworks last season, and yes, I had to wait like 3 days before the were at my door. Totally worth it, very good price. The basic rafter kit works out to 3 bucks per strap, totally worth if for a quality product. I got an oddball color, and everybody knows they are mine. I wrote the length in them with a sharpie, and I'm totally happy with them.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I ordered a set from strapworks last season, and yes, I had to wait like 3 days before the were at my door. Totally worth it, very good price. The basic rafter kit works out to 3 bucks per strap, totally worth if for a quality product. I got an oddball color, and everybody knows they are mine. I wrote the length in them with a sharpie, and I'm totally happy with them.
U R Smart.

I like strap works too.

·
Registered
998 Posts
In the case of cam straps, you get what you pay for. My Strapworks straps failed quickly, basically disintegrated in the UV in the matter of a few years. I still have functioning NRS straps that are over 20 years old. TRS straps are bomber.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I actually really like new river straps, which I understand are salamander, but i prefer to go to a store and get them. Just the fast food american in me I guess. I know HF are garbage, but in the six or seven seasons I have been running them I have had zero failures. I know they're weak, so if its a critical point I slap two on there. They're so cheap I just keep going back to them. I cut off the excess import webbing and buy cheap buckles and stitch even more straps. They're inferior in every way...except for cost. In the last several seasons I have had multiple failures from new river and nrs webbing rotting and snapping, and I have also seen some smashed cascade outfitters buckles.
Sounds like you understand the weaknesses of them and have made the best decision for yourself. Some people don't investigate QC and SWL which can cause catastrophic issues in the field. I had especially seen that in canyoneering. But it sounds like you have thought through it.

Definitely haven't seen anything cheaper than what you are describing at HF. Hope they continue to meet your needs.

Phillip

·
Registered
471 Posts
back when I was a poverty boater.......

But seriously when I had a $200 bucket boat and frame and needed some straps for multi day rigging and life's circumstances prevented my from paying retail for anything I called Ancra and got the name of a nearby wholesaler. I called them and bought a couple hundred 1" cam buckles. I think they ended up being a quarter each.

Then I bought some webbing wholesale from another source. I took it all to the materials lab at the college and tested a bunch of sewing methods and the material itself. The good ol box with an X in it with a quality thread always held as long as the webbing did, which never broke below 1500lbs.

SO I sewed up a bunch, probably averaged 75 cents a strap all said and done. They lasted a long time. I still have some in rotation 15 years later.

That also allowed me to carry a roll of webbing and a bag of buckles and simply cut and tie custom straps if I ever ran short.

You asked for cheap.

22 Posts
strap warranty

All SNS products come with a standard 1 season warranty. It's hard to warranty straps based on how different people use them (you can't strap your gear to the leaf springs of your truck, drive out of Diamond Creek and expect them to NOT break). BUT - if a strap breaks, send the buckles to me, I'll replace the webbing - you just pay the shipping. We have never had anyone contact us about a buckle failure. Jan

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I have been buying gear from Jan for many years.
Most of it custom made to my design.
Never had anything fail for any reason.
Still using the original stuff expect it to last longer than I have left to raft
Always easy to work with and super fast on delivery
and because it matters to me all work done in Colorado by a long time resident of that Great State. When you contact her you talk to the person making the gear which is a big plus.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Jan made me and my program some great custom stuff. Her materials are top notch.

Everyone is at a different stage in life concerning their acceptable balance between price and durablity. I'm glad I no longer have to sew my own straps and I can pay a craftsman to do it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts