Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rafted the Rogue last week. At the Rand station I was told that the main rock that everybody, or a lot of people, get stuck on in the picket has moved.They said there was no longer room to turn your raft right after the horn and go down forward. They recommended entering backwards until you almost hit the rock above the slide, shoot, then going forward from there. I just took the whole thing backwards, no problem. There was a wrapped raft there, but it wasn't an issue as it seemed totally deflated and underwater. It might be a little tougher now, but still totally doable. They said that do to these changes that at least one raft a day has been getting stuck. One raft a day doesn't seem any different than before. Still a lot of people making it through with no problems. Might want to scout now.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I first started wondering if that rock was moving about five years ago. The eddy above the Picket Fence seemed kind of tight, and more than the usual number of rafts in our group bumped into the rock. At that time, we could still make the pivot and approach the center chute frontward. Two year later, the gap was clearly tighter.

I see no reason to believe that the rock is done moving. As that boulder continues to roll downstream, it will eventually shut off the classic run. Then what? Where's Glen Wooldridge (and his dynamite) when we need him?

·
Registered
787 Posts
It was looking super tight when we went through a few weeks ago. I watched a group go through before us and found it was safer to hit the butt of your raft on the upstream side of the slot than to try and style through.

·
Registered
796 Posts
There was a boat wrapped when we went in late June too. It was my first run so can't compare but wasn't sure what all the fuss is about, easy peasy.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That rapid has changed. When I first started running it about 27 years ago the only crux move you had to make was to hit the eddy. I remember telling people hit the eddy then take a deep breath and look around. Now I tell people hit the eddy and move to the shoot immediately. Very noticeable for those of us who have been running for many years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got off the rogue. I ran blossom bar twice, as I had a new boatman that was leery about the run. I believe that was number 9 and 10. I haven't been on the river for 30 years, but I ran it the same way on number 10 as I did on number one. Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Was here
162 Posts
I rafted the Rogue last week. At the Rand station I was told that the main rock that everybody, or a lot of people, get stuck on in the picket has moved.They said there was no longer room to turn your raft right after the horn and go down forward. They recommended entering backwards until you almost hit the rock above the slide, shoot, then going forward from there. I just took the whole thing backwards, no problem. There was a wrapped raft there, but it wasn't an issue as it seemed totally deflated and underwater. It might be a little tougher now, but still totally doable. They said that do to these changes that at least one raft a day has been getting stuck. One raft a day doesn't seem any different than before. Still a lot of people making it through with no problems. Might want to scout now.
Ran it last week with a group of 6. Two 16' SB boats loaded. We didn't scout it because we run it so frequently, and found zero changes since last year. Pulled hard into eddy, poke front of boat into slot, pinball next 200yds.

I do agree however that over time the eddy has shrunk a bit. But remember, That rapid is also is affected quite a bit just by flow.

I have to laugh at all the "blossom bar" hype! Tyee gave me way more problems over the years past.

Just my .02

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Jared
733 Posts
I have run it 3 times. The first I was a passenger at age 15 or so, and it seemed easy in a 15' bucket boat. 2nd time was with my wife in 2003 in a Momentum Harrier IK at about 5000 CFS, it looked scary, but we made an easy run of it. 3rd time was spring 2013 at 2500, and I was in a 14' Sotar ST. I made the slot just fine, I ran the slot with my ass just slightly facing river right, and my bow and stern both made contact with the guard rocks. I then tried to make it to the right of VW rock, and broadsided the rock. I somehow managed to not flip or get too stuck, but I gained a healthy respect for Blossom Bar. It deserves respect.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just finished my first run down the Rogue Oct.4th. There are at least 2 rafts pinned on the fence; they look to have been there for some time. Flows for our 5 day trip were 1200 - 1500cfs. Blossom Bar was not too bad; ran the first right move forward just like the guide book, but watch out for that raft carnage with left oar. Great trip with perfect weather.cheers

·
Registered
432 Posts
Okay, "novice" is in my name, and I've only been through Blossom Bar once, but isn't the picket fence farther than an oar length from that right move at the top? Maybe I am misunderstanding the post.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Our group of 3 boats ran Blossom on September 28, somewhere in the 1500 cfs range. All three of us boatmen have run it dozens of times, so we went through without scouting. There was a raft frame perched on top of the wrap rock, and a mostly deflated blue Momentum bucket boat that was tied up to some rocks in the pool at the bottom. We presume they went together, as the flow had peaked up to around 2500 cfs a few days before our trip and likely washed it out.

All three boats in our group made the eddy no problem, but then all three of us also got slammed pretty hard into the rock on the right side of the slide, which is not the norm. There just wasn't room to get pivoted and try to do anything about it - once into the eddy above the wrap rock you are just kind of along for the ride over to the slide. There isn't any real danger of a wrap once you are over there, but one of the boats did hit hard enough to break his spare oar (brand new Cataract- ouch) rigged on the right side of his boat. You might think about rigging it on the left through there just in case.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just finished my first run down the Rogue Oct.4th. There are at least 2 rafts pinned on the fence; they look to have been there for some time.
Here's a photo posted elsewhere by Kerry Walsh.
Certainly the largest yard sale I've seen there in a dozen years of rowing it.
Reportedly the pinned boat was deflated remotely with lead.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
So who is responsible for clearing the debris? I'm thinking the river ranger would pay someone to haul it out and charge the owners? Or will it slowly work itself downstream when flows are adequate? anyway, quite the scene when you scout Blossom Bar

·
Registered
936 Posts
We ran Blossom Aug 15. We did a layover at Mule so I hitched a ride to Blossom early and sat on the scout rocks all day, watching two flips and one poor guy who popped an oar at the top and ran it left into the boulders. It took a loooong time for his group to sort that one out. Our runs the next day were all scout free and just fine, using the glue your but to the upstream boulder technique as mentioned above. Those Oregonian folks are super great folks with awesome rivers!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just got off the river yesterday. Looks to be 3 oar frame and 2 rafts stuck on the referenced rock. Talked to the BLM ranger and he tells us that they are getting a lot more raps there then ever before and folks are just leaving their gear. We ran without incident like we have for years. The frames and boat debris do make it a little tighter, but doable.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I can't imagine having to leave my frame behind, I'm such a scraper when I saw all that river booty in malloypc's photo I was wondering if it would be worth running out there for a salvage mission. Could make a great "worst deals out there post"... three lightly wrapped frames and one raft with bullet hole, easy repair.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think a salvage mission is worth a try. We grabbed the eddie right behind the picket fence and climbed up on the rocks. The rocks that have the gear on them were a little out of reach of the rocks. If someone was in the bow of a boat, he could jump off on the rock/ gear and go for it. Looked doable, just not from down stream or below the rock.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Karma is a bitch and river karma is even worse.

Everyone has a yard sale eventually, pull it out if you can, and get it back to the owner....

And hopefully someone will do the same for you some day.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts