Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when do you want to run the 31 mile stretch of the chama? easy enough permit if you do the weekend lottery? doing a trip w/ kids.
thanks

·
Registered
614 Posts
You’ll find several past discussions about the Chama.

I’ve enjoyed April and September trips outside the lottery season, but there isn’t always water.

I got a late July weekend the last time I entered the lottery. Big scattered thunderstorms were around that trip and some flash flooding.

People have griped about not being successful in the lottery so it must be competitive.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Sweet run for the kids. Not a very big riverbed, so you want to shoot for peak IMO just to limit raft abuse. We had good flow (bankful, I think around 900cfs), could have easily taken more and it would still be a super friendly kid trip. Good river for novice kayakers. Non powerful with very well formed eddies and currents. Awesome hot springs. I scored a trip here with a group of friends, some of which had been trying to get on a trip for 7 years so I believe the lottery is fairly competitive.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Were are the hot springs located along the Chana. I do remember z warm spring across the bank from an old cabin remains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts