2,100 Posts
Lots of good to know Chama information on this thread

Now, I am looking forward to a trip report of all the fun times on the Rio

dave

·
Registered
73 Posts
that's awesome. Have a great trip! Eager to read your trip report
Barry had to deal with some pissed off people while I was down there. It was a busy weekend so he tried to get everyone to "sign up" for camps to avoid conflics. We had chama wall for the first night and were well ahead of everyone else at this point and then we saw another group on day two. It turns out they were weekday launchers and they took one of the Huckabay camps which turned into a big conflict with one of the folks who launched on friday and thought they had that camp through the informal sign up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Barry had to deal with some pissed off people while I was down there. It was a busy weekend so he tried to get everyone to "sign up" for camps to avoid conflics. We had chama wall for the first night and were well ahead of everyone else at this point and then we saw another group on day two. It turns out they were weekday launchers and they took one of the Huckabay camps which turned into a big conflict with one of the folks who launched on friday and thought they had that camp through the informal sign up.
Interesting. I don't have it in front of me, but thought at least 2 of the Huckbay camps were reservation only. We showed up a little late in the afternoon one day to Huckbay 1 (farthest upstream), which we had reserved, and a commercial trip was there. They were very apologetic and quickly moved their kitchen and guest tents over to Huckbay 2. They thought we were not showing up so spread out into our site.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Interesting. I don't have it in front of me, but thought at least 2 of the Huckbay camps were reservation only. We showed up a little late in the afternoon one day to Huckbay 1 (farthest upstream), which we had reserved, and a commercial trip was there. They were very apologetic and quickly moved their kitchen and guest tents over to Huckbay 2. They thought we were not showing up so spread out into our site.
glad that all worked out with you. I was wrong I think it was buck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just drove along the Chama the other day. Looks like a good time. Definitely on the list now. I hope it pans out for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Chama at 106 CFS Report: I took a Tater IK with probably 30 Lbs of gear, launched on Wednesday, 9/8/21. The nice woman at Cooper's El Vado said it was running below 100 CFS, but chart says around 106. It was low, for sure. This wasn't a drift and dream trip, I was busy avoiding rocks and scooting from one side to the other to find water at the turns and riffles. I got pretty good at pushing off with one leg in the water when I got stuck. I never had to get out and drag the boat, a good thing because the rocks were slippery. It took four days to go the 21 miles to Chavez, but that is partly because I'm so darn old I get tired easily, and I wasn't in a hurry.
I scouted Aragon rapid, and it looked challenging. Everything else was read and run, but Aragon had some pushy looking sharp moves, and I hadn't paddled an IK before. It was fine, and fun.
It was a wonderful trip! Very cool to be out there alone, perfect weather, a chance to be quiet and just listen.
The Tater had only two shallow scratches on the bottom, nothing bad at all. I used a paddle that I thought was too short for an IK, 198, but anything longer would just have hit more rocks. I was glad to see more water on Saturday, especially for the slow Monastery section.
Thank you all for your fine advice, you the best!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think that having a "take it as it comes" and positive attitude usually makes for an enjoyable trip. The converse is also true. Glad to hear you had a good time!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts