Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I've had it with my crappy river shoes and ready to make the step into a pair of Chaco's as all my river friends SWEAR by them. My posse and I had a big debate yesterday at the BV playpark: toe-loop or no toe-loop? Some folks say it doesn't matter in the least, others say it is manditory for good climbing / hiking / scouting etc...

(I am a kayaker but I am also about to push some serious rubber down the Grand Canyon this October)

Let the opinions begin (please)!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Personally I don't like toe loops. I live in my chacos all summer, hike backpack, scramble Boulder fields. I have never had an issue without a toe loop.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Some people can't stand anything between their toes. I on the other hand prefer the toe loop, seems more secure. I talked my wife into the toe loop and she hates it. Guess I'm not always right.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Toe loop.

My wife has hiked 14er in hers and hut to hut to hut trips in Europe with her Chacos with toe loops. When Germans with their uber boots say she can't hike in her Chacos she just laughs.

That being said, I don't like my Chacos anymore now that they are made in China. The heel is too narrow on the new ones and the soles come unglued. Never had that problem with the Paonia made ones. I mainly wear my Chaco flip flops now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't like the toe loop, but if you get a pair with a toe loop and decide you don't like it just don't use it and they will still work fine.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am told (and their website says) made in Rockford, Michigan? I would not buy if made in China.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I vote toe loop. With that said I would not try the new sole out because of the new plastic heel piece horrible design idea.

·
I have both kinds and 99% of the time, I wear the ones without the loop. And I wear Chacos every day. When it gets cold, I just wear them with smart wools.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I vote NO on Chacos! If you want a heavy and uncomfortable sandal that takes forever and ever and ever and ever and ever to break in, buy Chacos. If you want to enjoy a light weight sandal that doesn't feel like you are strapping a combat boot to your foot, buy Teva. Hell, I'd rather paddle with a leather Birkenstock before I would strap lead like Chacos to my foot. I have had my Chacos for 4 yearsand they still have that foreign feeling when I put them on. Sure, I'm only a weekend warrior, but for hecks sake, when are these sandals gonna feel good.

Yes, I know that they last forever unlike other sandals, but so do cowboy boots, military boots, and the sort.

Similair to you, all my friends ranted and raved, yet I'm still not convinced.
Ask yourself if comfort is more important than long lasting durability. Also, if you're a weekend warrior, any sandal will go the distance.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Chaco flips are also made in China, that was the first piece they outsourced overseas.

Also the UpDraft has the weird plastic heel counter, the regular Z series still have the strap.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts