Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandparents live about 1/2 hour from Cauldron Linn (Star Falls) on the Snake River near Murtaugh Idaho. Since I've been paddling they have been telling me a story about some pro kayaker who died trying to run it. This weekend I finally had a chance to go out and see it and snap a few pictures. Unfortunatly I didn't come prepared with a kayak...

Does anyone out there have any information on running it? How often is it run? What are the lines at higher flows?

The images in my photo album were taken at what I believe was around 260 cfs which is super low. From what I understand it commly runs at 3,000 cfs in the summer and can reach 30,000 cfs in the spring.

Here is the whole rapid which drops about 30 feet:

I'm having issues with images on here, but if you look at my images you can see the drops with more detail.

·
Mike Leeds
12 Posts
i don't think a kayaker has drowned in there but i could be wrong. It has been kayaked at a variety of flows. I am not sure of the flows for the best run.

If you post this same question on kayakidaho.com you can probably get a better answer there.

leeds

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't think a kayaker has drowned in there but i could be wrong. It has been kayaked at a variety of flows. I am not sure of the flows for the best run.

If you post this same question on kayakidaho.com you can probably get a better answer there.

leeds
Thanks for the link...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Rumor has it the far left line (usually dry) goes as a clean 30'er at flows over around 26,000...

The main drop doesn't get run too much, but I know its been run. Never heard of anyone drowning in there though. Fire it up and post the pics!

TT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts