Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on a farm with lots of wildlife including mice and have my boats stored in a detached garage. There are always visible signs of mice inside and outside. I occasionally catch one in a trap. I was thinking of getting a cat that would live in the garage and outside but wonder if they ever try to scratch on rafts and if the solution might be worse than the mice. I leave them inflated year round.

Anyone have experience with cats around rafts?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Go to the local shelter and get 2 female cats that have been rescued from either the streets or trapped at a trailer with 29 others. These cats can and will deal with rodents (feed themselves). Just make sure they have food and h2o and a warm dry place to hide. Also get the cover. Solar powered rope lights in or around the bottom of your raft make a great deterrent also and you can find them for around $12 at harbor freight etc... I live in high desert pack rat territory and this strategy works for me.

·
Premium Member
2,882 Posts
I poision the heck out of the boat and the surrounding area with Ramik bars. Works great, and you don't have to deal with cats LOL. Tarp is always a good idea.. If you can find a way to attract Owls they are even better than cats. I have one that sits on the peak of my garage and nails the little miscreants with impressive regularity judging from the owl regurgitation's I find on the concrete apron beneath the peak.

EDIT. I do keep my rubber inside the garage...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thinking along different lines. Rodents sniffers are hundreds of times more sensitive than our own. I have been using dryer sheets from the local dollar store and tossing them around the shed like and oversized flower boy. The smell it too strong for them to handle they don't want to be near it, rather then luring them in to poison them, then you have nasty mice carcass to deal with. I have been doing this for years in an outdoor shed and travel trailer no mice to date. Plus clean up once year is easy and the place smells fresh ;)

·
Premium Member
2,882 Posts
Not exactly a bonus lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts