Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been satisfied that the tractor seats commonly used on catarafts are the best seats that can be designed. Once the cover cracks the foam soaks up a ton of water and then the metal rusts. I've also never liked the plastic folding fishing seats because of the flex they have. I personally prefer high back seats because of the leverage and support I can get from them. What is the best option for a seat that can hold up to the forces put on it by class v boating?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd have to hack it up and add the right bracket to get it to go on my frame. Maybe I could weld up my own version of the same concept. Has anyone else modified seats to their liking? Any original designs?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had the same problem with my tractor seat. I just recently pulled off the foam and vinyl, sanded off the rust, primed, painted and the attached grey kayaker foam (I think it's called mono cell). Total cost 30 bucks, but could have been done cheaper.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've done roughly the same thing with polyethylene foam. How good is the traction on the mini cell foam?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Are you guys carving your own seat or just putting down one flat piece? I have been thinking about just removing my seat and screwing on a piece of poly board and using a crazy creek chair.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On my seat the foam is glued to the metal from an old tractor seat. The foam is shaped just a little around the edges so that it isn't chunky. There's also a hole cut for the drain.

I don't think that I could attach a downriver seat to my frame with out some heavy modifications to the seat, and I don't mess with aluminum.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Are you guys carving your own seat or just putting down one flat piece? I have been thinking about just removing my seat and screwing on a piece of poly board and using a crazy creek chair.
A river-guide friend rowed a 16 ft. Daddy Cat through the Grand Canyon with my Crazy Creek canoe chair strapped to a deckboard. He said it felt fine and the side straps kept him from washing out in some of the thumpers.

I'm a bit big for it, and favor my old NRS highback and those cheapo plastic folding fishing seats.

You might look at race-car seats for new ideas. Or camel saddles.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Are you working with one of the tractor seats that NRS no longer carries? The ones that typically had a white covering? Vs the newer ones that are gray? I hate the gray ones, and really like my old-style low back, but had to find it through a tractor supply place (good colors also). Good luck, seats are tough.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, the high back type NRS used to have. What tractor supply place did you use, and what colors do they have? I'd love to have a red mid-back seat for my cat. At least it'd be nice until the cover died and I had to put ethafoam on the metal of the chair.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
They are Michigan tractor seats (lawn mower seats?) I once found their website, but it is buried in google. All I remember is that they had yellow and black, the colors of interest for me.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I'd check out Lowes. their "arnold" ones are really repackaged michigan seats with the michigan label sharpeed out. Looks like they currently carry the black version of the NRS lowback. $55 is much cheaper than $85.

when I bought mine I got a bunch of the high back seats at lowes (old NRS style) for $45 and then $25 apiece when they were on sale...

Lou

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Amazon.com: Michigan Seat Lawn Tractor Seat, Model# V-250: Home Improvement

I think I'm just going to have to breakdown and get this. The white seat is the last hold-out on a yellow and black boat, it's got to go!

Alpha- I used to use a highback also, for all of the reasons you mention because I had a lot of back problems. Last spring I happened to be ferrying gear across the river in my raft, and didn't put the seat back on top of the cooler once we put stuff in the cooler. I was blown away how much better it felt without that high back. Fortunately I was in the midst of a seat crisis, and had happened to have a lowback with, based on the advice of a rad-she-catboater from Washington. I threw that thing on my raft the next day and never looked back. I have low backs on both raft and cat. I know many of the bad-asses use high-back, and I honestly cannot imagine getting into Class V so constrained, it just is not for me and my body. That's just my experience, from a high to low-back convert. The downside, no drainhole, but it's worth being able to throw my body around and pull back with more torso strength vs mostly arms.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been thinking about getting a mid-back seat eventually. It'd give me more ability to lean back, but would also prevent me from sliding back. The low back seats just don't have enough for me to push against, and I like to be able to wedge myself between my foot bar and my seat.

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
I've gone throuhg a bunch of seats myself and still am not quite satisfied.

I love having a high backed seat, but hate dealing with the folding up to get at the cooler and having to keep the gear pile organized enough to fold it back in place easily.

I also want my seat to be at the absolute lowest level possible, which means just a thin pad velcroed to the cooler. (velcro rocks!)

I want a mid high mesh back only like a dre chair, but without the bottom.

ANyone seen one of those? It'd be great if it could slide forward for shorter rowers too, but I could probably just add a cushion for that.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just FYI guys, the mesh on the DRE seats is replaceable. I replaced mine last year for something like 30 bucks, the old one lasted 5 years, outside it's entire life.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've seen Madcatr use a Tempress seat, and it looks like it could be good. I'd go for the low back version, because it's still plenty tall but not too high. Just to inform those reading this, I don't put a cooler under my seat on a cat, but attach it directly to the frame, and put a cooler behind if I'm hauling gear. With this setup I can only take gear for myself, but that's fine for the type of trips I do. The reason I do this is because I use my cat both loaded and unloaded. If I had a gear cat the Downriver or Crazy Creek seats look like great options. I think it would be possible to make a seat that had a mesh back like the DRE seat but with a foam pad. Maybe this summer I'll try to weld up a prototype.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts