Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to be buying oars soon. I've owned Carlisles, and I've used cataracts, both counter-balanced and not, loved em either way. Never used polecats. How do polecats and cataracts compare? Will a pair of polecats last as long as cataracts?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm not sure you can use anything but Sawyer blades with Polecat shafts. So if you're happy using Sawyer blades, you can consider the Polecat as a good option.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Comparisons

Will a pair of polecats last as long as cataracts?
Depends on what the water you are rowing on is like, weight of your rig, and abuse you are putting them through. Your wanting a comparison of a specific oar from Sawyer to a line of oars from Cataract. I personally think the Polecats are good for rowing light boats with little possibility of contact with rock. Many folks I know row use them in there drift boats on mellow deeper runs. I have blown up a few Polecats in a commercial whitewater fleet on abusive runs that Cat SGXs, Sawyer MX-Fs,and Sawyer Original Wood oars last a long time on. Oh, and those polecats are definately not going to last as long as your Carlisles, especially the composite blade Sawyer uses.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm not sure you can use anything but Sawyer blades with Polecat shafts. So if you're happy using Sawyer blades, you can consider the Polecat as a good option.
I have cataract magnum blades on my polecats. I went with this set-up because it was the cheapest I could find (even cheaper than carlisle shafts and blades). So far I've been pleased (1 and a half seasons so far).

·
Registered
800 Posts
Not sure why you are comparing Cats to Polecats, kind of apples to oranges. A fiberglass to a composite that costs a lot more. If you are willing to shell out for Cats then might as well be looking at the MXS-F/G's and G's I think. Polecats are a great budget choice for a lot of people but I'm not sure can really be in quite the same league as the others.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Are polecats the smaller diam shaft with the fixed blades? If so, no comparison

·
Registered
800 Posts
I believe they do have the smaller diameter shaft but don't have a fixed blade. I thought the only fixed blade oars Sawyer made were the wooden drift boat oars with the carbon or wood blades. Oh, come to think of it they also make those really small diameter SST fishing oar with fixed blades for fishing pontoon type boats. I've heard those are actually pretty sweet for their purpose.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Or some of the nicer sawyers. Just compare apples to apples

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, I guess I didn't realize they were so different. Just doing my homework. I'll be going with cats

·
Registered
193 Posts
Oh, and those polecats are definately not going to last as long as your Carlisles, especially the composite blade Sawyer uses.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm i would argue that..... I've had my polecats for 5 years and they are holding up great (around 70-80 days a year) my carlisles lasted 2 years and were falling apart...but they make great spares.... just my opinion...

Happy floating!!!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I dont think polecats are bad at all i just prefer the cataracts. I dont like plastc screws they use. --the slot in their heads strip and if a rookie is helping you outfit your boat he can inadvertantly lose the screw inside the blade

·
Registered
66 Posts
Moon- Just curious how your carlisles were falling apart. Although, I am not a fan of Carlisles I have always had the experience of them being a tough product, other than seeing them bent or creased.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
After time and uv exposure the plastic cracks leaving bare al shafts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yep, what Avatard said. Begining of the second year they started cracking in an egg shell type pattern, and by the end of the season the plastic was falling off leaving a metal shaft that was too thin for the oar sleeves to get a good purchase on. I have some friends that have had this happen as well. It took longer for their carlisle's to start cracking but i dont think they were on the river as much. But as with any product made on an assembly line there are good and bad ones, im sure in time my polecats will start having issuses as well. I was just bummed that the carlisles didnt last longer. I think for the price difference $30-40 ??? why not get something that will give you a better return for your money.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ahh, yes I saw that cracking once on a red pair of Carlisles that had been stored outside. I always thought it was maybe a combo. of those two things as I never have seen it on the hundreds of pairs I have seen with hundreds of days on them.
I also have seen UV damage on glassed oars and have seen it contribute to breakage. I always have thought that being able to reglass and maintain is one of the great features of the higher end Cat and Sawyer oars, which I believe is not possible on the composite style Polecats.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts