Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run a 27" motor rig, I was planning a Cataract run, have the permit for next week.
Is there enough water???:confused:

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
I'd take something way bigger
Than 27 inches long. Maybe you mean diameter of tubes? I suspect you're still fine either
Way.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I run a 27" motor rig, I was planning a Cataract run, have the permit for next week.
Is there enough water???:confused:

Yes - when I guided down there we would take our Baby J's down there at under 5K. You'll be fine. Just be able to find the channel's. It really channel's up on the way to the confluence.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big boat

My boat is much bigger than a baby J, I sure would hate to wind up leaving it there till next spring.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hi,

Take a look here Big Drop Three | Flickr - Photo Sharing! at what 2,700 cfs looks like, and estimate whether your rig will fit through that slot.

It even has a couple of boats about to enter the rapid, to give you some scale. May also be worth looking at the Rapid 15 and BD #2 pictures posted there.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's 2 - the big slab rock makes Little Niagara, the other one makes the red wall.
The link Rich put up shows 3, and the Gut comes out on the river left side.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Been so long since I have been there. The big slab rock to the right of this

All sizes | Big Drop Two | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

is that what makes Satan's Gut?
This picture is of big drop #2. Satan's gut is big drop #3. The rock slab that makes the gut is in the upper right corner of this picture, past the pool, and at this level it is part of the shore on river left.
I have taken a baby J down at lower than 2700 and scraped both sides of the tubes as I went through the slot in big drop #3. At those low levels you just have to pick which rocks to bounce off of to get the best chance at getting through without being pinned. And with a baby J you sometimes have to straddle rocks to get through.

·
Registered
3 Posts
THREADING THE NEEDLE LOOKS FUN! However, I am not sure of what a 'Baby J' is, excuse my ignorance. .. what exactly are the dimensions of such a boat. I assume it is some kind of cataraft.

·
Registered
442 Posts
A 27' with no outriggers should go just about as low as a 2 1/2 snout "baby J".

I would say any flow below 3k is too low.

For those who asked: A "baby J' is a snout rig with a smaller frame and a half a tube between the two outside tubes. It is about 23'-24' long. I belive John or Mitch Willams came up with the design in the 70's.

·
Registered
207 Posts
A 27' with no outriggers should go just about as low as a 2 1/2 snout "baby J".

I would say any flow below 3k is too low.

For those who asked: A "baby J' is a snout rig with a smaller frame and a half a tube between the two outside tubes. It is about 23'-24' long. I belive John or Mitch Willams came up with the design in the 70's.
My dad put together several baby Js in 1970 for a main fork salmon run. Not sure if he came up with the idea himself or if he saw it somewhere. I was only 16 and was just happy to be there. We didn't have the center 1/2 tube, just the two outside Js. I will have to dig up some pictures.

·
Registered
48 Posts
KiKii, we would take the outside tubes from an s-rig 20' in length with a row frame and those are called a snout rig Baby J has a short middle tube.
SWATDOT. if your 27' is an s-rig without the outside tubes you will be just a bit wider than a snout and will be fine,KiKii is spot on, you just have to pick which rocks to bounce off of to get the best chance at getting through with out being pinned

·
Registered
207 Posts
KiKii, we would take the outside tubes from an s-rig 20' in length with a row frame and those are called a snout rig Baby J has a short middle tube.
Thanks, I probably knew this once, but now use the names interchangeably.:D
So with that correction: I have motor both a snout and a baby J and rowed a snout down Cat at lower than 2k.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts