Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Randdaddy please don't flame me for this--it's a long story.

My wife will not go through Cataract Canyon, so I want to take her from Mineral Bottom to Cataract, then upriver to Potash. Has anybody motored a 15' Sotar or equivalent up river that far? How many hours, how much gas, what size motor? I know if the motor conks out I am screwed. Going to buy a new motor and keep my fingers crossed

Tex's and others in Moab have told me they will NOT tow a big raft up river like that, kayaks yes, rafts no.

Anyhow, any input from those who have actually done this would be welcome.

And yes I am generally opposed to motors in settings such as this but in this case I am going to do this and ignore my conscience.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've seen SOMEONE (some jetboat company, cant remember which) loading up 4-5 deflated and rolled 15+ foot rafts, frames, gear, and about 15 people at Spanish Bottom. This was last fall. So there has to be someone that will do it.

Seems to me that getting a raft UP the pinch on the Colorado side would take a LOT of horsepower, and even then, like you said, you're screwed if it craps out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made some calls last fall but I admit I didn't really press the issue. The few people I talked with all said they weren't prepared to take on a raft will all the gear. Based on what you guys have said I think I will press the issue more. We are going to be in Moab in two weeks and will pay a visit to a couple of places.

Still, the idea kind of intrigues me, if it can really be done. Doing the math, say 51 miles up river, with a current of say 3mph, I come up with needed about 15+ gallons of gas. I am mainly curious if anybody has actually done it.

Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Low water, you will be weaving around sand bars. High water, you won,t make it up the slide. get a boat that will plane, or plan on at least 20 hours of motoring at full throtle. It will suck and you might not make it. Why not get your wife a jetboat ride and run cat yourself?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Run potash to spanish, send your wife back up to potash with Tex, run cataract and she can shuttle your ride to hite. I agree that the slide just above the confluence would be tough with a small motor and it would take you at least a few days of motoring upstream to make it. Maybe green river, utah to mineral bottom would be a better choice.

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
Not sure who picked them up, but the jet boats definitely haul rolled up rafts, gear and the whole trip. We saw a group waiting for their pick up this fall.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Tell her to go with and she can hike for less than an half hour around the big drops. She can take photos and laugh at your sheit show. Make sure she has a throw rope. It truly is way under a 30 minute hike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't know why I never thought of having a jet boat pick her up at Spanish Bottom--good idea.

I had thought of her walking around the Big Drops, but I have only been through Cataract 3 times and wasn't sure about the walk. If it is doable, I like that option.

The ideas here are very viable. I think what happened is I got it in my head that motoring up the river was the only option so I locked in on it. I think also one appeal of the up river trip was that we could do it any time we wanted, no permit necessary, just pack up and go, don't worry about permit dates.

I appreciate all the suggestions offered. I think the comments make it clear that trying to power up 51 miles of river is shear folly. As I was contemplating this I kept thinking, "My god that motor is going to work itself to death, it won't make it". Thanks all, I am back to reality now.

·
Registered
433 Posts
You can boulder hop and route find the entire length of Cataract on the right bank. Probably the left bank too.

Floting down the Green and motoring up the Colorado is a fine thing to do in a boat that planes. If you could get ahold of a sport boat or a little john boat it would be just fine. Just not in a raft.

Call Tex or Tag (the only jet boat outfitters that go tho the confluence) and time your drop of with one of their canoe pick ups. I think they each do two or three a week. I know that Tag used to do raft pick ups, but the jet boats are restricted on the amount of weight that they can carry, so they will likely charge alot to pick up a raft trip with all that gear. They shouldn't charge too much too pick up one more person on a day that they have a scheduled canoe pickup.

Another option, if your wife likes to hike, is to shuttle a car to the Needles and send her up Red Lake Canyon across from Spanish Bottom. Or maybie do the same thing from the Dolls House, but that would be a very long shuttle to drop off a four-wheel drive vehicle there.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Tex

My buddy works at Tex and he has offered to take a rolled raft for me before (down to the confluence anyway), so I know they will do it. Not sure if it depends on how many ppl they have loaded or if it was just the bro deal? Sounded like a usual service to me though.

·
Boof like a Utard.
122 Posts
tex's final word

All:

I'm st2eelpot's friend (when he has beer ;)) and I work at Tex's Riverways. We no longer transport rafts upstream from the confluence. We used to, but that policy has changed. We will transport you and your rolled raft downstream if you are organized, punctual, and book in advance.

About motoring upstream, I suggest bringing more gas than you think you will need, and alot more if you are coming in May or June. I don't know how to gauge that amount of gas; I have never motored upstream privately and don't know your motor.

In complete honesty, your easiest option is to borrow (or rent) a canoe, and just do your shuttle with Tex. I'm not telling you this to sell you seats on the jetboat; we can (and will) sell those to someone else. [If we were hard up, we'd still transport rafts]. I'm saying this to save a fellow boater some hassle. Or you can call Tag-a-long.

Good Luck and see you on the river,
kenny

·
Boof like a Utard.
122 Posts
btw

[I think also one appeal of the up river trip was that we could do it any time we wanted, no permit necessary, just pack up and go, don't worry about permit dates]

Soliver:

You will need a permit to camp and travel through Canyonlands N.P. (obtained in advance), but getting one isn't restricted. Motoring back to Potash from the Confluence has been done, and with a non-planing boat, so don't rule out your original idea. Just pack extra gas and probably some ear plugs or an ipod.

kenny

·
Registered
211 Posts
Seems like a lot of hassle - why not do low water Deso, Labyrinth, San Juan, or something like that if she doesn't want to do the Big Drops? Walking around the Big Drops is easy, but the Big Drops are easy at low water too.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
My wife and youngest kid walked it the first we ran cat. He was 4. I let him run it with me when he was 8. It's pretty easy to get a permit, just bring your motor for after the rapids, have your wife walk the big drops? It's a spectacular canyon with amazing hikes, well worth doing. Btw, I prefer the green over Potash.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts