Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a few days off the first week of february. Right now, the weather looks clear, and the temps have been warm down there for a couple of weeks. Anyone ever head in there this time of year? Are ice jams a problem above and below the rapids?

A buddy and I are thinking about a quick small raft excursion for a bit of play...

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've been down cataract in very early March and we didn't see any evidence of snow or ice in past years. It leads me to think that maybe the river doesn't freeze to often there. I guess its your own call, but I would go for it if the temps remains in the 50 degree range or better down there. The canyon is wide so it stays exposed to the sun in most places for a good portion of the day. We've had some great spring break trips down there. Hopefully someone has better beta than I do.
Curtis

·
Registered
8 Posts
Curtis did I do Cataract with you guys on Mike Kallum's trip

Seattle Boys as we were known during that time?

·
Registered
342 Posts
No, it must have been another group. If you were out there in early March of either 2003 or 2004, we probably ran into you. I went down the canyon with my buddies from Mesa State College in Grand Junction. Did they call you the Seattle boys because only people from the Pacific Northwest are supposedly crazy enough to boat during the cold months of the year?
Curtis

·
Registered
124 Posts
hey mp,

I have done a few "winter months" trips down cat and (myself) have not seen ice dams. I have a friend who encountered an ice dam during a February cat trip a few years back. The obstruction was on the green river 15 miles or so above confluence. This friend swears that in many years of winter cat trips he has not had ice over problems when floating down the colorado side. Sounds fun. Bring firewood!.

ba

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Barry - thanks. We're gonna give 'er. It's gonna be a row till you drop mission. At least we won't have to wrry about keeping the beer cold.

·
Registered
124 Posts
hey mp,

have you figured out how your gonna shuttle and where you are going to take out w/ the lake being so low.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
barry -
I've got a call into atomic who should hopefully be able to run it for us.

There's a spot to take out just below the bridge on the north side of the river. Weather looks like it'll cooperate..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts