Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin for some new 10' oars for a 16' Avon bucket boat. It seems that everyone likes the rebound and flex of the SGG's but I heard that with big boats and heavy loads the flex seems more like a waste of energy.

Cataract says the SGX is 33% stiffer, but I dont want it to feel like a stiff old Carlisle...

Anyone who has used either the SGG or SGX that is willing to share feedback would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have both, 9' SGG for my 14' and 10' SGX for 16'. In my opinion the SGX are perfect for a larger, heavier boat. I wouldn't even put them in the same ball park as the Carlisle, they still offer more flex than the Carlisle but 33% increase in stiffness is needed when cranking on a big, heavy rig. Have you looked at the Sawyer MX-G? A friend made me row my 16' with his MX-G's and I have to say I REALLY liked them. Happy Oar hunting. hope that helps. T

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the 10' SGG's with counter-balance (I believe the SGX only avail. in Blue) They are good for just about everything but Cat and the Grand. I have a big 15'10" Hyside that's an extra wide gear hauler. I ran Cat last year at around 20,000 and was bending them quite a bit through the Big Drops but were fine. Ran the Grand in a 18' Hyside with the MX-G and they were quite a bit stiffer and moved the boat well. I think the SGX would be a perfect compromise seeing as the MX's didn't hardly flex at all. All in all just about everything feels better than a Carlisle outfitter oar.

Go for the extra charge and have them rope wrapped at the factory. It's only another $15 an oar. oh, and Rubber Donuts are extra.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well some great advise, I would love to try out some MX-G's but I do think that I will end up going with the SGX.

One more brain buster. I have only used carlisle blades and was looking to get a little more durable blade, Magnums seem nice, and I have heard Cataract blades fail to satisfy. Razors seem cool as do Sawyer V pro ash.

I will be feathering so which blades would create the least flutter.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I got the Magnum Cat blade and they are real good. The original Cat blade is shit. The Sawyer V pro is almost perfect. Sawyer fir blade is real good and easier to feather; what I used on the Grand, although not as much power as V-PRO. Lots of Commercial Row trips I saw used the classic Smokers, which actually come out cheaper than the Cataract/blade/rope-rap combo by about 10 bucks.
Cheers!
SYOTR

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
decided to go with sgx oars with rope wrap and a magnum blade, thanks for all the Beta, cant wait to get 'em in the mail!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
sgx oar

decided to go with sgx oars with rope wrap and a magnum blade, thanks for all the Beta, cant wait to get 'em in the mail!!!

old thread, i know. chaser, if your still around how do you like those oars now that you've used them. anyone else? cataract's website is not very informative.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are very nice on a big heavy rig, less rebound than the sgg's but perfect for some strong pulling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts