Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hell of a time getting the supplied rubber doughnut over the factory wrap on new Cataract oars. Anyone have an answer on how to do this? Ive tried heating them with a hair dryer. I've not a small guy by any means and can't force them onto the rope. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or maybe I am thinking about it all wrong. Will the rope wrap slide down the shaft of the oar and the doughnut does not go on the rope?

How do you get the rope wrap to slide?

·
Registered
811 Posts
The rope wrap should not slide. Roll the doughnut onto the wrap. The doughnut should be 1-2 inches onto the wrap.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had my Cataract oars rope-wrapped at the Sawyer plant, so they're probably similar to your factory-wrapped. What worked for me was to stand the oar on end and work the rubber stopper down over the rope wrap by "flipping" it. Hard to explain in words, but if you pull down on the stopper it will invert itself and flip along the rope. Once you get it close to final position, you can fine tune its position by sliding a little but. It is a challenge, but then again they are meant to be on their snug.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think I remembered it wrong. Not soap. It's the roll it like the other guys are saying. Depending on your blades you might want to put your leashes on first as well.

Jim

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hot water and the roll. Put the blades up against a house or a curb and straddle the oar and start rolling it done with your palms. It's an aggressive move you really have to get into it. I'd recemmend short fingernails.

·
El Chupanibre
133 Posts
I preheated my oven to 150 degrees, slipped the doughnut in for about 5 minutes, then rolled it on. Once it starts moving, it's pretty easy.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Seems like someone on here last season found a hole in the frame on their raft trailer, used 3 or 4 cam straps to "stretch" open the donut, then stuck the wrapped oar inside the donut and released the pressure on the straps, then pulled them out one by one.

·
Skibum66
79 Posts
Try rolling them with a little dish soap. This worked for me. Still not easy but doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts