Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pending the approval from work I might be heading to Cataract in June, and am curious what to expect weather/trip wise.

·
Registered
433 Posts
First week of June is the historic high water date. Not too much snow this year, but if it melts right you still could have big water. Watch the flow predictions on cbrfc if it looks like it will be above 40k and you have no experience with high water cat then you may want to access your abilities and do more reserch.

The weather should be good, the first truly hot days usually start in June, but it is usually nice.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not too worried about the on river end, I've been pushing rafts for 8 years, I'm just interested in what to expect on this trip as a whole for that time of year, mid june.

·
Registered
371 Posts
In the 30,000 - 40,000 range.... Big but still have time between drops to get your game right. Always thought that the 20,000 - 30,000 range was not as hard as lower or higher flows (just me).

Always thought Cat was in a league of its own. several days of flat drunk water then 1 - 2 days of intense water with a few scouts then flat lake water with head winds.

Check lake levels and talk to commercial companies to get the latest on rapid situation below Big Drops and camping below Imperial.

Be aware of #5 left side can be a mother of a hole at certain levels (been there done that)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Biggest water of season during the first two weeks. Hot as hell as June doesn't often have the clouds seen later in the Monsoon season. Fair number of people, especially shorter commercial trips. Fair amount of motor traffic. Some bugs. Brown water.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
PS....I think the most enjoyable rapid of the entire trip is Imperial or the one right below, never had a good definition of any difference. Long ClassIII with lots of holes, all done from a boat scout. Just plain good fun.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are the historical overnight lows that time of the year? I am a New England born boater transplanted here, so I would hate to overpack with cold weather sleeping gear, when I could use that space for more booze and such...

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Mid-40s to Mid-50s (still in the rather comfortable range b/c by August that entire region is sweating in your sleep territory, even with just a sheet).

Utah just experienced its hottest day in March on record, 77F. Hard to know what this summer will actually bring for weather.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts