Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing cataract canyon on during thanksgiving and am not clear where the current Hite/Dirty Devil takeout is. GPS, photos, info? Also with this fall's rains is the lake up significantly enough to make the row out a b**ch? Word is the october rains raised the level several feet.
Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's pretty easy to find, it will be river right about a mile after you cross under the highway bridge and probably about a quarter mile after the Dirty Devil enters.

As to the level, I last ran that strech in late September this year and the last 5-6 miles were pretty slow. I don't like taking motors but I would have liked to have one that day as the headwinds brought me to a standstill a few times.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I did it three weeks ago and the current was solid until just before the bridge. The lake had come up a bit because of all the heavy rain, so it was almost totally slack water right at the takeout.

As the previous poster noted, it's pretty easy to see on the right -- there is a gravel road, and higher up some concrete toilet structures, along with a parking lot. The upper of the two takeouts had been chopped to a pretty high cutbank by the runoff, but the lower ramp was very easy to use.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree the takeout is very hard to miss and in October both takeouts were bad with cut banks. The upper takeout was the best but we took off the day the river rised with rain fall and had planned on camping near dark canyon but with the constant rain and bad muddy camp spots we paddled on thankfully before the brunt of the storm. We camped just below the big drops and paddled all the way out the next day but we mainly barged up the boats and floated and we found good flow untill the bridge. The camping spots below the last rapids seemed to be pretty bad.

Here is a slideshow of our trip
http://www.coldfear.com/images/cataractslideshow.html

Have a good time!

Aaron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts