Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinion out there on Bad Cat tubes? Website says they're pvc, so they are probably sprayed with urathane, but i thought i'd ask if anyone has had personal experience with them.

They seem real similar to the Maxxon tubes in construction, thoughts?

·
T up
26 Posts
they are maxxon boats with a lable on them... Maxxon is ok.. I have a big diameter 16' that im about to run on the grand, for the second time. Its a good boat for the money.
My next boat will be Jacks however.
good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, since you're so knowledgeable, what do you think of downriver tubes?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
dipper said:
thanks guys, since you're so knowledgeable, what do you think of downriver tubes?
$1800 with dryboxes? Why havent you acted on that boat yet?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drove out there yesterday to check out the boat, I thought the same thing, for the price, how could i go wrong? But honestly it's not the right setup for me, the frame is too small for the boat and couldn't carry nearly enough gear. Also the frame's bent. Looks like he blasted a rock head-on. Anyway, i'm sure he'll sell the boats, they're a good deal for someone, but i'm in no rush and i dont want to buy anything until i find what i really want.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I drove out there yesterday to check out the boat, I thought the same thing, for the price, how could i go wrong? But honestly it's not the right setup for me, the frame is too small for the boat and couldn't carry nearly enough gear. Also the frame's bent. Looks like he blasted a rock head-on. Anyway, i'm sure he'll sell the boats, they're a good deal for someone, but i'm in no rush and i dont want to buy anything until i find what i really want.

Don't forget about the Clackamas Whitewater Festival coming up, that is usually a great place to see alot of boats and the even do demos sometimes. Something to wait for if you aren't in a hurry.

Boat Demos | Upper Clackamas Whitewater Festival

·
Registered
13 Posts
If anyone wants some Jack's tubes i have some 17' El Tigres you can practice your patching technique on.....

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
BrainO said:
If anyone wants some Jack's tubes i have some 17' El Tigres you can practice your patching technique on.....
Care to expound?

·
Registered
13 Posts
i bought one of the Bax Cats a couple of years ago- i wanted the frame, and it came with tubes that had some miles on them, but still under warrenty. I soaped 'em up and there were 39 pin holes in one, 13 in the other. I call JPW and they said to ship them back for repair. When i called to check progress they told me they would do the repair for nothing, and cover the shipping costs to get them back to me. They ran some fix a flat type goop in them and of course all it did was make them heavier. Still don't hold air, the material get's pin holes in it from normal boating, not my idea of a win for $3.5K.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i bought one of the Bax Cats a couple of years ago- i wanted the frame, and it came with tubes that had some miles on them, but still under warrenty. I soaped 'em up and there were 39 pin holes in one, 13 in the other. I call JPW and they said to ship them back for repair. When i called to check progress they told me they would do the repair for nothing, and cover the shipping costs to get them back to me. They ran some fix a flat type goop in them and of course all it did was make them heavier. Still don't hold air, the material get's pin holes in it from normal boating, not my idea of a win for $3.5K.
Must of got them from a 2-3 party. All of the tubes I got off Shawn were still in maxxon shipping boxes and R.Halkey valves all wrapped in foam......

·
Registered
79 Posts
Must of got them from a 2-3 party. All of the tubes I got off Shawn were still in maxxon shipping boxes and R.Halkey valves all wrapped in foam......

He is talking about Jacks Plastic Tubes , not Maxxon.
Bad Cat is out of business , he isn't registered with the state. How is he operating as bad cat when he sold that business. Sounds like you know him, some people were wondering?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I've never seen Bax selling a used boat on their floor -- just demos and ones they took out to test ( and maybe punctured ). I thought JPW a pretty good reputation with their pvc. I've seen some pretty old paco pads with the pvc starting to flake maybe not apples - apples

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought it from a private party, it was one of the models that Dan Cox designed. Love the boat, the frame is over the top, but the tubes get pin holes from just looking at rocks. Paco Pads- sleep country for the river, but it would take a pretty big pile of them to get all my gear down the rivers. I can see it now- Paco Expeditions- the best nights sleep a boater has ever had....

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
But then they declare bankruptcy because they have been selling/delivering into WA without paying sales tax :)

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Thats too bad. I sold a 15 year old Aire Bobcat last season that would hold air all week

·
Registered
7 Posts
He is talking about Jacks Plastic Tubes , not Maxxon.
Bad Cat is out of business , he isn't registered with the state. How is he operating as bad cat when he sold that business. Sounds like you know him, some people were wondering?
I do know Shawn bought a few boats off him, he lived in Tillamook and moved to washington and started a Tackel store and was selling bad cats there. Now he just builds them at his home on the side as a hobby. He makes a killer boat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts