Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Launch (Mineral) 3/26 takeout 4/6 (North Wash). Shuttle w/Redtail Hite to Mineral, great pilot (Craig - tour of Dolls House/Maze, out over Jasper, saw a rockfall on the "lake," etc.). Few canoes down to Confluence, maybe 3-4 each day... days in 60's nights in 20's to start (ice in hand wash @ Fort Bottom, Anderson, and Turks Head, none thereafter), warming to 70's & 30's by end of trip. Green was right around 2000, Cat 4300 day we ran the rapids (April 3).
Last "rapid" was Gypsum although some fastwater riffles after that. Gypsum camp just above mouth is out, great night there. Others both sides down to Dark, mud bars intermittent but fairly easy to spot (remarkably clear water the whole trip = little/no upstream precip). Dark Canyon mouth pretty ugly - looked possible to get hikers over to left at mouth but we didn't try. Last camp on right just after Mille Crag, long low mud bar being reclaimed by sand, perfect for shoes/bocce/whatever.
Takeout same as photos posted last month. Dry and perfect conditions, still took 15 of us 2-3 hours to boost 7 big boats (2 Spirits, one Pro, 18' Sotar, 16' Wing, 14' Avon & my 17' Incept) up the 30 feet or so to foot of ramp, with rollers & winch, then onto trailer and up to new lower parking lot. No sign of any recent work to extend ramp, definitely not feasible for even light snout or anything bigger without WAY heavy duty winch and big 4WD truck/trailer combo, plus rollers.
Honda 5 used less than 3 gallons overall dragging various hitchikers intermittently down to Confluence (maybe 2-3 at a time, possibly 20 miles total?) and then after Gypsum w/full flotilla.
Water level felt more like Fall than Spring. Guessing runoff will be early and low... and another long, hot summer. Bullfrog allegedly "unusable" if reservoir drops another few feet, no eyes on but stay up to date if planning takeout there (call first and ask). Ferry still operating to Halls Crossing Thursday-Friday, imagine that will cancel first if level declines...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great info, thanks for posting. Cat is about the only section I haven't done of the desert runs...one day I'll make it happen. I've actually taken a canoe down the Green to the confluence years ago and had Tex himself jet boat us back to Moab.

The ferry is now closed: Lake Powell Ferry Crossing | UDOT and also rumor has it that they are replacing the outdrives on it so it will be out for several weeks at minimum.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks for the TR and the update. CAT is an amazing trip for sure, but damn does that takeout make you think twice about doing it again. HAHAHA!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts