·
Go with the Flow
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening
Im happy with my dual rail 3bay overnite frame for my 14'x24" Maravia,
but I want to build a small day frame.
Question are:
how wide ? 66" or can i go narrower? I'm thinking 9' oars.
how long ? is 5' too short
I'm using 1" EMT for a medium.
Thanks for the help CurtO

·
Registered
649 Posts
66 with 9 foot oars is a good dimension. Ronnie McClain built a ton of sport frames that were 60 by 60 but l think you would want 8.5 or8 foot oars.

·
Registered
949 Posts
My small cat has a 54x60' frame and I use 7.5" mini mags with sleeves to fit the large diameter locks. I'm thinking about getting some standard diameter 8ft oars, but it's been three seasons on the minis and I've yet to break one. I figure if I can keep getting away with super light and inexpensive oars, why not...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Mine will be 60" wide, BUT 66" oar tower to oar tower.
Distance oar tower to Oar tower determines oar length.

I'll have 33" between tubes, 36-38" is more common for coolers/dryboxes.
With 21" tubes and 33" between tubes, side rail will be 3" past center of rubber.

I'll be 62" to 64" long, but on 12' tubes.
Might be short for 14' tubes. Especially if frame not centered.

·
Registered
32 Posts
32" between on 21inch tubes 77"oarlocks,10 ft oars works. I have done 14,24,32,and42"between tubes working on 28"and a 36"between tubes . make yuor own towers and make them wide as possible.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Billy are you smoking crack? Just joking, but seriously what benefit is there to wide frames and long oars? I've never used a wide play cat but I've seen plenty and I can't figure out why folks do it...other than already owning the oars and using the frame on other boats. Is it stability? I run a otter thwart as a seat which makes high siding quick and easy, so I've never felt I needed more stability.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
A narrower frame will roll more violently in a hit- harder to stay aboard. Add a tall seat and you've got a whole different ride compared to low and wide. Figure out your needs and likely use and decide from there.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Banned
258 Posts
If Billy was a dart player shooting for the bullseye every dart he is throwing would be landing outside the building in someones car windshield.
Don't embrace the lunacy

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have ran 1"emt up to 36" between tubes with out bracing. today I will finish putting on towers on 28" between tubes 10" drop, watch for your d rings depends on tube dia. I like to fintstone small cats some times. scout bars leave a hole.

·
Banned
258 Posts
I have ran 1"emt up to 36" between tubes with out bracing. today I will finish putting on towers on 28" between tubes 10" drop, watch for your d rings depends on tube dia. I like to fintstone small cats some times. scout bars leave a hole.
Alright lets have pictures, the weirdness has me intrigued. Today you will be putting on towers, what are you normally doing on a weekday? Just curious

·
Registered
32 Posts
just finished a house with a little tile left to do. res. carpenter and next house is a ways off. I like pics and your right . I need to work on that skill later to night

·
over the horizon
289 Posts
I have played pretty hard in a JPW Cutthroat 12" between the tubes, 48" between oar towers. There is not a lot I can say bad about narrowness. As K2 mentioned it will sway side to side pretty fast and I have been tossed out, but there's no telling if a wider frame might have dumped me. A narrow frame must compensate with oar towers that splay out like wings.

On the plus side, the narrower your profile, the smaller the river (or longer shoulder season) you can run.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts