Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14ft cat with 23in tubes. My frame width is 66in. My question is how wide do my drop bars need to be from the outside of my frame or how much of my outside rails need to be on my tubes. I currently have my frame dead center on my tubes. This gives my 35in between my 9in drop bars. I would like to widen that gap to fit a larger cooler between my rails. My fear is by widening this gap, I will have less than half of my frame over my tubes.. Am I already too wide and need to put more of my frame over my tubes reducing my gap betweens bars to like 30in??? Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’m a little confused? I used to have 14x23” tubes, 66” frame and was nowhere near that narrow with the side rails in the right spot.

Do not put more tube outside the frame than inside.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You should be ok with the frame 2-3” past CL of the tube. So 66-23-(2*2.5)=38” between the tubes. Subtract an additional (2*1.625) ~ 35” between the bars,!which is where you’re at.. Looks like you’re need a wider frame for the stuff you want.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I have a 14ft cat with 23in tubes. My frame width is 66in. My question is how wide do my drop bars need to be from the outside of my frame or how much of my outside rails need to be on my tubes. I currently have my frame dead center on my tubes. This gives my 35in between my 9in drop bars. I would like to widen that gap to fit a larger cooler between my rails. My fear is by widening this gap, I will have less than half of my frame over my tubes.. Am I already too wide and need to put more of my frame over my tubes reducing my gap betweens bars to like 30in??? Thanks
I think I understand your question. How many inches do you need to fit the cooler?

What type of boating do you typically do? You might be able to violate a few rules of thumb if you do mild water boating. You are definitely going to have to do careful strapping.

Bottomline, what you plan, it is not recommended.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You might consider doing some third world engineering such as mounting an underdeck to your frame clamping the board to cross members using ubolts or heavy duty hose clamps. We can discuss this more if you are at all intrigued by this solution.

BTW, what is your frame made of and what diameter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the quick answers. I had feeling having more tube than frame on the outside was not wise. I am fine with my 35in between drop bars. I will just get a smaller cooler.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Maybe my math is off but if you're dead center I would think you're at:

66-23-(2*1.6)=about 40", no?

I have a 61" frame and 22" tubes and I'm planning on being dead center on my tubes and having 35" between the drop bars... but I haven't rigged it up yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My only thought would be to widen your frame if once your try the 35" middle you dont have enough overhang on the top rail on tubes. Your frame is 66" wide and to go to 72" wide so you would need 24' of pipe @ 4$ a foot from local pipe yard It would be a hundred bucks re use the lo pros on your pieces of crossmember pipe and make it wider. The only option would be to see why NRS would charge per foot of anodized pipe without lopros since pipe from a local pace won't come anodized.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My only thought would be to widen your frame if once your try the 35" middle you dont have enough overhang on the top rail on tubes. Your frame is 66" wide and to go to 72" wide so you would need 24' of pipe @ 4$ a foot from local pipe yard It would be a hundred bucks re use the lo pros on your pieces of crossmember pipe and make it wider. The only option would be to see why NRS would charge per foot of anodized pipe without lopros since pipe from a local pace won't come anodized.
Thanks! I am happy with the 66in. Wide frame, I’m more agile. I am at center on my tubes.
I have 35 in between my drop bars, which fits my dry box and the igool mission 124qt will fit and be sufficient. Thank You for your input!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts