Mountain Buzz banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Water Boat Watercraft Vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

I've enjoyed sleeping under mine. This picture was an April Grand trip (2014). I sleep just behind my seat. One day on a layover it was miserably windy and I just wanted to get some relief from the blowing sand, so I covered my bimini with a Kelty tarp and tied it down to the 4 D's at the tube tips and then tied it down everywhere else I could to keep it from flapping. I added cross straps to the bimini frame from side tops to opposite side boat frame, both sides, because I thought the gusts were going to flatten it, but it held up.

I do use it while rowing quite often, and I have loop straps in the back so I can strap it down quickly before rapids or if it gets windy. I got this bimini specifically for the Grand Canyon. I'd rowed the Grand in April the year before this picture and swore I wasn't going to do the Grand again without something. After researching options I decided a bimini was the best for surviving wind. I've been using it regularly since 2014, same bimini, on multiple cat boats, same original plastic tips (I bought steel replacements years ago but the plastic ones have yet to break). If it's buggy I use a mesh bug thingee made for sleeping bags. Last year I bought mounts that are made for attaching the bimini to an NRS frame and I like those much better than mounting to the sideboards, leaves the sideboards completely free for walking on or strapping down gear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
On our April 24th launch last year on the Grand shade was a godsend - on the boats, at camp, anywhere we could find it. We used our camp wing and biminis regularly - those of us that didn't have one tried desperately to rig tent fly's etc - anything to keep our gear, food, coolers, and bodies out of the midday sun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks! The wood will just be left raw, I think. I may throw a coat of polyurethane on it. Depending upon time.
I will probably throw a few wraps of gorilla tape on the ends of the tubes. I left them long in case I need to extend the frame a few more inches.
I have a plywood deck on my cat used regular 3/4 plywood. All's I do is paint a coat at the beginning of every season with an epoxy based paint just to keep the water out of it. I can't imagine this decking wouldn't last forever. If you think about it they don't stay wet very long.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Biminis are great; stable in the wind and don't need to be taken down when you leave for a hike, unlike umbrellas. A 6' (one bow) pretty much just works for the rower where an 8' (2 bow) works better for passengers as well.

Love the taught line hitch where it's tidal. Easy to loosen or make those late night adjustments.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I’ve been working on a way to lower the profile of mine, and to drop the end sections, leaving more height in the center. I’m going to be working on it this week. I’ll post the results, and exactly how I did it. I don’t need to be able to stand up in it, and I think it’ll be more stable with the lower profile.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ever since Jan at Stitches ‘n Stuff made me a custom mesh sling that goes between my rails, this in 2019, 90% of my nights have been onboard the boat. Less troublesome. More comfortable. Never have to trudge very far to pee. Oat occasionally gently rocks me to sleep. Much cooler. I think her successors might do the same.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
People don't actually put them {Bimini} up on the water, do they? Damn good point though Jim..
I've had a bimini up on my raft and umbrella on my dory while rowing across Salmon Lake...and umbrella on my dory on Salmon Lake...both in 85-110°F temps. Both came down when the wind got over ~5mph...the umbrella so it wouldn't invert or fly off...the bimini because it acted like a sail and pushed me upriver.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
I’ve always thought that the generic bimini looked awkward on a boat…too tall and spindly.Here is my modified low-rider bimini before. It’s 49” to the lowest point of the fabric,directly above the mounting bracket.
Vehicle Boat Aircraft Naval architecture Shade

I drilled out the pop rivet holding the pivot for the front bow, slid it up the rear bow a bunch, and chopped 14” off the lower end of the rear bow.
Bicycle Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire Motor vehicle

The main mounting bracket with an upgraded stainless end from Amazon.

Pen Writing implement Office supplies Wood Ball pen

The 14” of tubing taken off the rear bow. None of the other bows were cut. However, 5 1/2” were taken off the rear braces so that I didn’t have to move any of the mounting brackets.

The new low-rider bimini. 42” high, lowered by 7”. You’ll notice a much steeper rakish angle to the front panel of the fabric. That’s intentional. I thought it would minimize wind causing a parachute effect, and keep the sun out of my eyes, since the Grand trends so much southerly.
Watercraft Boat Blue Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have two questions, really, and I’d like opinions; would you bring a bimini on an April Grand Canyon trip, and how practical is it to bivi on the boat?
View attachment 71523
This is my new Frankenframe, being a stretched WWMW composite of two WWMW frames and tubing I ordered. My idea is to use the bay behind the rowing seat (where the versa-pad is) as a catch-all, and bring a plywood deck to use as a lid/stretcher/bed. With a bimini, I won’t have to set up a tent (which I hate doing), and I’m always guaranteed to have a flat bed. Thoughts and pictures would be welcomed!
After the first GC trip I installed a bimini, and never regretted it. Kept it up on anything under Class 5, and it made the last 3 more GC trips and all big river trips (Snake, Ladore, Deso & Cataract). Clipped tarp to it, when it rained. Weight was always the biggest issue to deal with, especially for the first six days but was lighter by the time we got to Horn. Sleeping on your boat is the way to go, you will be the first to know when you have not tied up your boat in the right place when the tide goes out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
I’ve been working on a way to lower the profile of mine, and to drop the end sections, leaving more height in the center. I’m going to be working on it this week. I’ll post the results, and exactly how I did it. I don’t need to be able to stand up in it, and I think it’ll be more stable with the lower profile.
A word of advice, on your GC trip you're going to need to stand up, a LOT to see what's coming..

In MY opinion, I sure wouldn't want that thing erected in a rapid. April isn't that hot, and given that anything can happen on a river, particularly and more so in GC, well I'd most certainly be judicious in the use of it while on the water. Sure is nice to have one while tied up..

GC isn't the Main Salmon by any stretch of the imagination

My 2 cents, YMMV.

Reactions: MT4Runner

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went the opposite way of Wallrat and mounted mine on risers. A little more height makes it possible to stand under and move around better. The mounts also allowed me to use the bimini on a rental boat on a GC trip. Easy to strap to any sideboards. Shown upside down as the frame is currently hanging from the ceiling. Lower is better for rain coverage, for sure. Most storms on the river tend to be windy for at least a portion of them.
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Wood stain Hardwood

Water Boat Watercraft White Vehicle

Unclip two straps and it drops for rapids. Pretty quick and easy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have two questions, really, and I’d like opinions; would you bring a bimini on an April Grand Canyon trip, and how practical is it to bivi on the boat?
View attachment 71523
This is my new Frankenframe, being a stretched WWMW composite of two WWMW frames and tubing I ordered. My idea is to use the bay behind the rowing seat (where the versa-pad is) as a catch-all, and bring a plywood deck to use as a lid/stretcher/bed. With a bimini, I won’t have to set up a tent (which I hate doing), and I’m always guaranteed to have a flat bed. Thoughts and pictures would be welcomed!

Congratulations on scoring a spring trip. If you've never done a spring trip, I might mention that it gets seriously windy then, and it's never, ever, a down river wind. You'll fight the wind alot. That said I'd be cautious spending much time under the bimini.
Yes, it's easy to set up a sleeping pad behind the rowing seat. I take three straps and tighten them between the cross braces so the board won't deflect, lay the board on the straps. and put my pako pad on top. Watch out your pillow doesn't blow away. and keep a tarp or some kind of rain cover in case of a windy sprinkle that blows around your bimini.
Back to the wind. Get on the water early and get off early.
Enjoy. Best time ever
tT

·
Registered
4 Posts
View attachment 71523
put a Bimini on everything!

·
Registered
70 Posts
put a Bimini on everything!
The problem with sleeping on the boat is that your boat parked usually is on a angle which causes you to roll towards the back of the boat. You can alleviate this by keeping yr boat parked with only a foot of rubber touching beach but the canyon is tidal which means your ether stranded on rocks or drifting with a loose rope. I tried sleeping in my boat down there several times, it just never seemed to payoff. If you pull it off and your happy, let me know how you did it, thanks. Have a great trip!

·
Registered
534 Posts
The problem with sleeping on the boat is that your boat parked usually is on a angle which causes you to roll towards the back of the boat. You can alleviate this by keeping yr boat parked with only a foot of rubber touching beach but the canyon is tidal which means your ether stranded on rocks or drifting with a loose rope. I tried sleeping in my boat down there several times, it just never seemed to payoff. If you pull it off and your happy, let me know how you did it, thanks. Have a great trip!
If the eddy is calm the best way to go is a tail anchor to keep you off the shore completely. I sleep on the boat 90% of this time. Best campsite on the beach - quiet and I like the gentle rocking.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts