Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions, really, and I’d like opinions; would you bring a bimini on an April Grand Canyon trip, and how practical is it to bivi on the boat?
Hood Blue Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

This is my new Frankenframe, being a stretched WWMW composite of two WWMW frames and tubing I ordered. My idea is to use the bay behind the rowing seat (where the versa-pad is) as a catch-all, and bring a plywood deck to use as a lid/stretcher/bed. With a bimini, I won’t have to set up a tent (which I hate doing), and I’m always guaranteed to have a flat bed. Thoughts and pictures would be welcomed!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s correct, for spans past about a foot, they sag a lot. I run it in the captains bay on another of my cats where it’s got some support, and it’s great for that.
The frame shown is a new build, and I was originally going to run a cooler in that bay with loop straps supporting the center of the versa-pad. Now I’m thinking of a custom drop bag, and moving the cooler forward.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a bimini on a Hyside cat in the canyon and it was great to have in the rain and sun. Keeps the coolers out of the sun at camp. Lashed it down when I ran drops, of course. I had it on rubber crutch tips instead of attaching it to the frame or deck. Made it easy to move to the back of the boat during drops.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The wood looks good, I am always surprised how good wood looks after a few passes through the planer. Are you going to varnish them pre trip?
Should you do some end caps for the long tubes? it looks like they could be a fairly sharp pointy bit.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! The wood will just be left raw, I think. I may throw a coat of polyurethane on it. Depending upon time.
I will probably throw a few wraps of gorilla tape on the ends of the tubes. I left them long in case I need to extend the frame a few more inches.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I sleep on a cot on my cat. I mount a couple of metal shower rod holders on the side decks and put the legs in the rod holders. Use a strap on each end to keep things from moving or tipping. Sounds a little wonky but works great. Did 32 days last May and never set the tent up once. A little disconcerting if you don't have something between your cot and the water but get a system down and it works great

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sleep on a cot on my cat. I mount a couple of metal shower rod holders on the side decks and put the legs in the rod holders. Use a strap on each end to keep things from moving or tipping. Sounds a little wonky but works great. Did 32 days last May and never set the tent up once. A little disconcerting if you don't have something between your cot and the water but get a system down and it works great
Don’t suppose you have any pictures of that setup, do you?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Might ask Bobthegreat, I know he uses a Bimini on a 16 ft raft setup for camping with a tent fly over it. Not sure what he uses for a sleeping deck. There is a thread that discusses it:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
if the bimini ends up being a yes for your GC trip, my suggestion is to replace those plastic end cap joints. my plastic ones broke under duress. although, i don't utilize those back 2 poles so I really only have 2 joint points in total. and then have the 2 straps that came with and 2 loop straps on each corner for secure but quick break down in nasty winds or rapids.

I bought these which are now NA, but there are many others on the internets. Amazon.com : LEANINGTECH Bimini Top Eye End Cap, 2 PCS Fitting Boat Marine Hardware 316 Stainless Steel, 1" or 7/8" (1") : Sports & Outdoors
and probably add these hinge pieces too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B7M73L8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_59X6W3F90NY0XDPR3TSV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

bimini in use:

Motor vehicle Hood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found these, and ordered a pair. That’s a great idea: Shenghui 1 inch Bimini Top Cap Eye End Fitting Marine Hardware Stainless Steel 316 Double Screw Heavy Duty Bimini Top Cover Cap Fitting 1" Pair with L Shape Hex Key https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0876PXYW...abc_VZFPEF8MKA5DM8M6GAZK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I intend to cut the poles a bit shorter on the bimini, so that it’s not so tall. I never need to stand up in it anyway. These ends will simplify that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have two questions, really, and I’d like opinions; would you bring a bimini on an April Grand Canyon trip, and how practical is it to bivi on the boat?
View attachment 71523
This is my new Frankenframe, being a stretched WWMW composite of two WWMW frames and tubing I ordered. My idea is to use the bay behind the rowing seat (where the versa-pad is) as a catch-all, and bring a plywood deck to use as a lid/stretcher/bed. With a bimini, I won’t have to set up a tent (which I hate doing), and I’m always guaranteed to have a flat bed. Thoughts and pictures would be welcomed!
One thing to remember is that the Colorado is tidal, with the dam releases there is a good chance you'll wake up and yr boat will be high siding on a rock, so don't expect to be level all the time. The bow will be higher parked on the beach than the ass end of the boat so you will also be fighting a tendency to roll towards the lower end (shim plywood on lower side as a leveler-movable shims?). Also night brings out the flyers, moths ect which seem thicker down by the parked rafts. I slept in my boat down there on the way down the lake, slept on the boat because we camped at a bad place we called "MudF#ck" Beach, we had a raging party there so it all worked out, my boat was covered in mud and reeds, it was a nasty cleaning job. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Anchor the boat off the beach in the Eddy and avoid all the beaching nonsense. I slept on my boats almost all the time on almost all the times I e been down. A decent anchor is key..

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
I was thinking about that...which anchors have you used, and which do you prefer?
Tried the round ones, they suck. The triangular ones with the hinged blades bite best, but always look for sandy bottom, nothing holds well in rocks.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,689 Posts
The slickest setup I've seen for a cat is 2 pieces of pipe with fish mouths cut in them that rest on top of two of the bay frame bars. Then holes drilled through on the top side that are spaced and sized to fit the cot legs. Dude who runs them has the cot set up over his cooler , has the dry box as a night stand to his left and his captains floor to swing his legs onto on his right. Its super solid and the two 24" pieces of pipe are easy enough to pack away.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Sleeping on the boat is great. You don't have a drybag/bedroll/sleeping bag/tent to pack up and down the beach each night and each morning. Roll it and repack on the boat.
Cooler when it's hot out. Not a ton cooler when it's cold out.
Nice to have the white noise/sound of water nearby if campmates are either up partying or snoring.
Sleeping on the boat is one of my very favorite parts of having a dory. I highly recommend sleeping on the boat.

As for biminis, having had one for a rainy Salmon trip and for a hot/sunny Salmon trip, I wouldn't be without cover on a long trip. I don't have a bimini on the dory, but do have an umbrella and use it frequently for both types of weather. A SportBrella would be great to sleep under.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The slickest setup I've seen for a cat is 2 pieces of pipe with fish mouths cut in them that rest on top of two of the bay frame bars. Then holes drilled through on the top side that are spaced and sized to fit the cot legs. Dude who runs them has the cot set up over his cooler , has the dry box as a night stand to his left and his captains floor to swing his legs onto on his right. Its super solid and the two 24" pieces of pipe are easy enough to pack away.
Zach, you are opening up some ideas, thanks. You gave me a idea of using low pro fiittings with short pieces of pipe to fit my cot legs using frame pins as a leveler on down side slope. Low pro's always there so no moving or rerigging involved. No dragging gear up the beach, storage is close, 5 minutes breaking down. I got to find out how buggy it would be camping on boat, you always have to check to see if it is a meat eater when something is crawling on you. The Salmon (Idaho) always has bug hatches going on so it might not be peaceful to sleep there. Thanks for the ideas.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts