Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of us are thinking about running Castle and Slaughterhouse this weekend. I've never been down and just looking for some info at current flows. Is it continuous V-, or just certain parts and the rest IV-IV+? Any wood on Castle to be cautious of? We plan to scout it, but just checking.

Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
castle has been cleaned a couple times this season, but wood can arrive at anytime. class V- at current flows. watch the low bridge by the plant under the hwy. 82 bridge. check it out first. it got too low but it should be good now with levels receeding a bit.
slaughter: entrance and the "falls" are V- and VI+ over 2000 lots of fun. run the falls far right. the rest is just cruiser IV.
obviously wood at higher flows can always be present.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
It can't be that bad. I eat VI+ for breakfast. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been running it as much as I can since the water turned back on. Things to be heads up about:

Take a bunch of speed into the low head dam, the boil is tall.

After the first really tight boulder garden section, if you follow the current it'll try to push you into a nasty log jam. Either be heads up and paddle hard or simply go right, over another log-pourover, and miss it entirely.

Finally, towards the end of the run there's a tree across the river right after a blind turn. It comes up quick, so be heads up. The best way to get through is to put your head down and punch right through the branches of the pine tree on river left. It'll hurt a little but it's less dangerous than the alternatives.

Other than that, everything is pretty straightforward. The crux drop goes any way you hit it, it's not an issue. The super sketchy wood that was there a week and a half ago washed out.

As far as Slaughterhouse goes, Entrance has some sticky holes popping up every once in awhile. Run the falls right. Aim for the rocks on the side and carry as much speed as possible to boof the secondary falls. I've seen two near swims there this season.

Enjoy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts