Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looks like they will be lowering alcova reservoir 10 feet on the 1st of october through october 31st . im not sure if it will be big water flush or a new continual flush plan? i will keep advised.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
looks like they will be lowering alcova reservoir 10 feet on the 1st of october through october 31st . im not sure if it will be big water flush or a new continual flush plan? i will keep advised.
Looks like any plans I had to hit Grey Reef for some big fish action will wait 'til next year...

·
Registered
907 Posts
Actually if you are fishing from a boat the bigger flows help a lot. During higher flows in the fall you should be rowing through the narrows hucking meat for that 36" brown they shocked up last year...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Looks like any plans I had to hit Grey Reef for some big fish action will wait 'til next year...
if you want big fish, there are better places to go than the reef, especially from d'go.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
From the Platte River Fly Shop: "Fall flushing flows slated for Oct. have now been cancelled due to some contractor problems with the state."

36" brown... that would be pretty amazing. Several years ago I was wading at Trappers Route #1 access and hooked up with a fish that took me down to my backing and took me for a long downstream walk. I was so focused on landing - hell, seeing - this pig that I started wading into a deep hole. Water was splashing over my chest waders when I broke it off. never did see the fish, but the bend it put in my rod and the pace that it peeled off line was VERY impressive!

·
Registered
907 Posts
I think that is why they are dropping alcova. to do work on dams and stuff. I don't think it will be a flush but a up in flows
The_dude explain to me some other places where you can float and have 30 fish days with an average of 19 inches. Also while only seeing four or five other boats this time of year...

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I think that is why they are dropping alcova. to do work on dams and stuff. I don't think it will be a flush but a up in flows
The_dude explain to me some other places where you can float and have 30 fish days with an average of 19 inches. Also while only seeing four or five other boats this time of year...
Wish I knew the N. Platte better. It's such a haul from Durango, that I rarely get up there. Sweet water and obese fish.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its the same press release as 2 years ago and it did flush big. more than likely they will flow 4000 for a little while and than drop flow back down slowely to help clean the river up.
http://http://www.usbr.gov/newsroom/newsrelease/detail.cfm?RecordID=24621

Great Plains Region
Billings, Mont.
Media Contact:
John H. Lawson
(307) 261-5671
Mike Odle
(406) 247-7609

Released On: September 15, 2008

Annual Drawdown of Alcova Reservoir

The annual drawdown of Alcova Reservoir will begin on Wednesday, October 1, 2008, according to John H. Lawson, Wyoming Area Manager. During the month of October, the reservoir will be lowered approximately 10 feet in preparation for winter operation.
During the period of October 1 through October 31, 2008, the reservoir will be lowered to the normal winter operating range of 5,487 feet to 5,489 feet. Water released in the drawdown of Alcova Reservoir will be restored downstream in Glendo Reservoir.
Boat owners and recreationists should be aware of the declining level of Alcova Reservoir and take proper precautions.

# # #
Reclamation is the largest wholesale water supplier and the second largest producer of hydroelectric power in the United States, with operations and facilities in the 17 Western States. Its facilities also provide substantial flood control, recreation, and fish and wildlife benefits. Visit our website at www.usbr.gov.

copied directley from site

·
Registered
676 Posts
well let me just say that the reef is not my kind of ditch. at one time it was appealing, but when i realized that the only thing it had going for it was the big fish, i quit going up there. i would rather float the upper river in the spring and summer. much prettier and the fishing is much better. this time of year, if i want big fish, i know where to go for them, and i was there yesterday. like i said, the reef just isn't my kind of ditch. more power to those that like it, but i prefer a little more solitude than that river affords me most of the time.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I hear you about the "tailwater thang." Down here we have the San Juan tailwater that has huge fish... and a million guys in drift boats chucking flies and mishandling fish. I dislike "combat fishing" and absolutely prefer a more wilderness setting as well.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
let me tell you a story about the north platte inbetween casper and grey reef. there was a time when you could catch 20+ 21" inchers in a day. talk about fishing. 8 years ago. you people just need to learn how to fish it. minnows are key

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Minnows? Not in my repertoire. Streamers, maybe! I'm one of those fly guys. You know, the snobs.

I have hooked up with some nice fish just below the dam on #22 midge larva and #14 scuds. One of these days I'll get back up there to get wind-blasted.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
minnows, use a peice of praire straw and put a little line throught he middle doulble back on the peice of straw and stick it straight trought the minows mouth through the butt. than tie off w/ a trible. you will catch fish big enought to mount.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
minnows, use a peice of praire straw and put a little line throught he middle doulble back on the peice of straw and stick it straight trought the minows mouth through the butt. than tie off w/ a trible. you will catch fish big enought to mount.
I believe this is the point where I would normally make some "crack" about Wyoming boys putting things up the butts of animals and how wrong that is. But I will resist the temptation to be so petty.

Oh shit! Too late...

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
LOL. Important distinction.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Several years ago I was wading at Trappers Route #1 access and hooked up with a fish that took me down to my backing and took me for a long downstream walk. I was so focused on landing - hell, seeing - this pig that I started wading into a deep hole. Water was splashing over my chest waders when I broke it off. never did see the fish, but the bend it put in my rod and the pace that it peeled off line was VERY impressive!
That reminds me of the time I fought the biggest cutthroat I ever did see. "'Ol One Eye" they called him, and he was six feet long if he was an inch! I landed him with a whole hog tied to a tow chain. He fought me for twenty six hours until I finally had to dive into the river with a knife in my mouth and finish him off....

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
That reminds me of the time I fought the biggest cutthroat I ever did see. "'Ol One Eye" they called him, and he was six feet long if he was an inch! I landed him with a whole hog tied to a tow chain. He fought me for twenty six hours until I finally had to dive into the river with a knife in my mouth and finish him off....
Very Hemingway-esque!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts