Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone reapplied a UV protectant to their polypropylene straps (I am specifically looking at my NRS ones)? I know NRS uses a protectant during manufacturing but I assume that wears off over times especially with the desert river sediment load. 303 makes several products but I can't find polypro mentioned on any of them.

Thoughts?

Also curious about when people retire them beyond obvious abrasions/cuts and malfunctioning cams.

I am slowly replacing my kit but it will likely take a few years with the numbers we have and other gear costs. I replaced my NRS cams for the frame with Tuff River Stuff 1.5" and I am impressed with their quality.

Thanks for any help.

Phillip

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just saw on the website that 303 does not recommend using their Aerospace protectant on "fabrics" but I am not sure where polypro falls into category wise. They list canvas as an example so my guess is polypro is considered less a "fabric" and more generically a plastic or polymer. Want to find out more before I treat them though.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well played sir, well played.

Definitely a poorly formatted question and thread title on my part; not my first, not likely my last.

Phillip

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Learn to sew a simple bar tack or box stitch and replace anything that looks suspect.

I know what you mean about getting them to last longer but I believe the wear and tear of use and the abrasion of sediment in most rivers grinds them up before the sun does. That said I don't leave mine laying around outside either.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Try some polyester cam straps- they tolerate the sun a lot better.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try some polyester cam straps- they tolerate the sun a lot better.

Indeed, one of the reasons I am transitioning to Tuff River Stuff straps. That said, I currently have a ton of the NRS ones and would love to extend their life as much as possible considering it would cost $150+ to replace them all. Just trying to make the most of my current investment.

Phillip

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I do an annual wash in Woolite- just soak em in a bucket of warm water. Helps keep the grit out and the function high. Won't do anything for UV though- I think that's just part of life you can't avoid

·
Registered
91 Posts
At the end of each season and maybe once in the middle, I put water in a 5 gallon bucket, dump in some 303 and then throw in all my cam straps and let them soak for a while. Then take em out and let em dry. I try to be sure they are already silt free...

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At the end of each season and maybe once in the middle, I put water in a 5 gallon bucket, dump in some 303 and then throw in all my cam straps and let them soak for a while. Then take em out and let em dry. I try to be sure they are already silt free...
I finally just took the time to clean my straps thoroughly for the first time in a year or two. The company that makes 303 Aerospace just got back to me and said the polypro should work just fine with that product so I am tempted to soak them in a fashion similar to what you mentioned.

Cleaning up an old Avon we just bought so I am in the housekeeping sort of mood.

Phillip

·
Jared
733 Posts
I have heard that color choice has a large impact on straps for how well they do with UV. I bought a purple strap kit from Strapworks, we'll see how they hold up. They are only about a year old with 20 or so trips on them, no issues as of yet. I ran into a lady who had several seasons on some purple straps and they weren't even faded. These are the cheap poly straps, too

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you guys are interesting in really nice Cam Straps, check out Whitewater Worthy. Website is simple, but Jake is awesome and he makes really nice straps. Heavy duty, well made and tons of choices.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts