Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter and her hubby are going big game hunting starting this weekend. They came over to borrow my old hunting knives(they think they are lucky) and pick up some Carbide for emergency fire starting, just put snow or water(liquid, pee) on Carbide, to create acetylene gas, than add spark, to create a huge flame. It loves blizzard, rain storms and wet conditions, it just creates more gas to start fires. So I did this little experiment with some snow, to share with MB outdoor, cross country skiers, backpackers, etc. I would practice outside and don't get your face too close. I just singed the fuck out of my hair.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Outch...

Being former Spec War.... we always used Bugles (chips) or Fritos for the same effect..... Its what I carry in my pack.
That method always burnt the hair on my ass, than you would walk funny for a couple of weeks, till things settled down and the hair grew back. But you guys could always take that special treatment, no wonder you all sashayed, whenever you walked, after a field excursion. Once again good luck, have a blast and keep those Bugles and Fritos close.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That method always burnt the hair on my ass, than you would walk funny for a couple of weeks, till things settled down and the hair grew back. But you guys could always take that special treatment, no wonder you all sashayed, whenever you walked, after a field excursion. Once again good luck, have a blast and keep those Bugles and Fritos close.
Don't put them up your butt!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just yanking your chain buddy. Aren't you suppose to be getting ready for big game hunting or you waiting till opening day?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Experiment out side..

Hi John, that carbide is dangerous. I put that carbide on the snow ball and went to strike the flint rod into it, my knife kept sliding, so I leaned over the pan to make sure the blade dug into the flint rod, it flamed up into my face. I turned around and my daughter said my hair was glowing and smoking. She said I can't play in the house any more, without adult supervision. Why aren't you up chasing those elk? Hay, she showed me a type of knife by Outdoor Edge called a zip- blade to open the hide up, without digging into the meat or gut. I thought it would be a good rescue river knife because it has no sharp point. They say it would be good to cut seat belts in an emergency situation too. You have any experience with one?

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah, i get banned from playing with cool stuff in the house too. The women at my house have little sense of humor when it comes to flammables, things that go boom or things that smell...

No hunting this year. Wanted to but life got in the way. Yeager didnt get his moose this year.

I am in the process of building another snout. Ill keep you posted.

I've seen those knives. I think ive seen a flip version. Pretty cool. I do use an old havalon with replaceable blades that i love.yeah, im a fan of blunted knives for river stuff. Ive had to cut stuff against skin a few times. Maybe this knife would be perfect.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definitely keep me informed, that's going to be a fun build for you. That reminds me, I have to text Yeager, he texted me last week and never got back with him. Have a nice day, we will stay in touch.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Tying this post back to boating - Back in the 70's I shot a nice 5 point on the south rim of the Royal Gorge. Didn't get a kill shot and he dropped over the rim down a REALLY steep gully. About half way down I found him wedged between two boulders. Long story short, I didn't think there was any way i was going to pack meat up to the rim so I drug him down to the river, walked the old intake pipe back to town, got my navy surplus bucket boat and ran the Gorge to pick up the animal. Probably only the second or third time I ever ran the Gorge but it was low and fairly straight forward - except they still had the old intake dam at Sunshine which I had to portage. By the time I got back to town I had a bucket boat of deer soup. Not a pretty sight but saved the meat.:-D

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Why aren't you up chasing those elk? Hay, she showed me a type of knife by Outdoor Edge called a zip- blade to open the hide up, without digging into the meat or gut. I thought it would be a good rescue river knife because it has no sharp point. They say it would be good to cut seat belts in an emergency situation too. You have any experience with one?

These are pretty common in the commercial fishing industry.
https://www.seamar.com/item/GIE342516/KNIFE-WITH-BLACK-PLASTIC-TIP/

Newegg.com had CRKT Bearclaws for $20/shipped through Adorama about a year ago.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jgrebe, nice execution on recovering your game, that's what we know is a big part of big game hunting and the correct action to do. Archery hunting down by Agular Colorado in the Spanish Peaks area, I downed a good size cow elk and it took me just under three days and eight round trips to pack that baby out, by myself no horses than. Great steaks.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have never used the Bearclaw or Zip-BLADE.

These are pretty common in the commercial fishing industry.
https://www.seamar.com/item/GIE342516/KNIFE-WITH-BLACK-PLASTIC-TIP/

Newegg.com had CRKT Bearclaws for $20/shipped through Adorama about a year ago.
I have never used eather knife. I was just looking at the design of each knife, the Zip-Blade hand grip places the recurve's blade pointing upward and out where the Bearclaw puts the recurve part of the blade downwards and in, with is handled. I'm just thinking if you take some bow line, flat webbing and fishing line, one at a time and tie it around your leg, than take each knife with its designed hand grip and cutting them free of you leg, which one would work the best. Up and out or down and in, with a natural hand position, in an emergency. That's what I was thinking when I suggested the Zip-Blade for a river rescue knife. I have field dressed a few big game so I understand how the proper grip on a knife is important to safety and ease of the process, in the knives function, plus keeping the blade sharp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts