Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of us are tentatively planning a trip to the Lower Taos Box and Pilar, sometime during the month of March, flow/weather dependent. We will be driving from the Front Range of Colorado.

Does anyone know of any good (free) car camping near the put-in/take-out of either the Lower Taos Box or Pilar? I will be bringing a small pop-up trailer, so basically were just looking for something off the main road and a bathroom if possible. Others will be tenting or crashing in their car.

Any information about this request would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to post/text/call anytime.

Thanks, Lenny.

·
Registered
135 Posts
you can camp on the rio pueblo next to the confluence w rio grande, and take out there for lowr box or put in for pilar. sweet spot and sometimes optional mank class V. there is a bridge there, iam sure the bible's direction to lowr take out or to rio pueblo you find it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
not to hijack thread but...

Since you did bring up the Taos Box and Racecourse Section...

My girlfriend and I will be in this area ourselves during the middle of March and were looking to do a daily stretch in our 14-NRs Raft.

What (typically of course) would the flow be like on the Race course/ Pilar section around the middle of March?

Would we be able to/or even want to take an our rig down this stretch?

I am not talking about the lower Box, as I beleive at this time it is over our heads, but would love to hear more about camping, and boating in this area.

We will be on our spring break and usually do a San Juan trip, but this year hope to get in a multi-sport trip in New Mexico...can the river be done that time of year?

I have looked at some of the previous threads about this area but hav not seen what I need...sorry to hijack your thread, thanks for the good infeo.

MN

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fatbob

you can camp on the rio pueblo next to the confluence w rio grande, and take out there for lowr box or put in for pilar. sweet spot and sometimes optional mank class V. there is a bridge there, iam sure the bible's direction to lowr take out or to rio pueblo you find it.
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

So I am looking at a mapquest of this area, the confluence of the Rio Pueblo into the Rio Grande and see two roads, 570 (which appears to run parallel to the Rio Grande) and 567 (which crosses the Rio Grande). We will be arriving late (after dark) and none of us are extremely familiar with this area. The camping your referring too, would that be on 570 or 567 road? Any driving details would be great.

Thanks again, Lenny.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bucket52

My girlfriend and I will be in this area ourselves during the middle of March and were looking to do a daily stretch in our 14-NRs Raft.

What (typically of course) would the flow be like on the Race course/ Pilar section around the middle of March?

Would we be able to/or even want to take an our rig down this stretch?

I am not talking about the lower Box, as I beleive at this time it is over our heads, but would love to hear more about camping, and boating in this area.

We will be on our spring break and usually do a San Juan trip, but this year hope to get in a multi-sport trip in New Mexico...can the river be done that time of year?

I have looked at some of the previous threads about this area but hav not seen what I need...sorry to hijack your thread, thanks for the good infeo.

MN
No worries, it appears that we may be in the area roughly about the same time. So do you have an oar raft or a paddle raft, you can probably tell I'm not a rafter but rather a kayaker? Would you consider paddle rafting the Lower Taos Box, on a Saturday, with 3-4 Ladies, 3 of which are kayakers, 1 of which (my wife) is a Class 3 kayaker and capable of reading the river well? If so, we could plan our trip around yours, thoughts?

Feel free to post/text/call anytime.

Thanks, Lenny.

·
Registered
135 Posts
maybe a local can give better specifics,, but we drove up the pilar sec on river left side (probly 570?), near the only bridge over rio grand we veered right and continued uphill just a little ways to find the rio pueblo.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Saw that Post Too

Hey Man,

Saw your other post about this...

I cannot say for sure when/if we will be in that area exactly and doing the river. I would think we will be there during the week and not the weekend since we have the whole week off, and Iam not really sure if we will be planning on boating 100%.

We certainly want to, but there are anumber of factors that play into the equation like weather, dogs, time and money.

I would at this time say not to plan your trip around us because I do not know if we will be there at all, or if so during the weekend when you plan on showing.

Also, I don't think I feel comfortable rowing that section. We are only recently getting into rafting and right now class III or III+/IV- is where we are comfortable, I beleive the box is a bit over our heads...I will keep our options open and let you know if are more concrete as it gets closer.

MN

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
570 parallel to the river just north of pilar has multiple BLM spots. I think we paid $7 for the night and you can have 2 cars. Bring some quarters for the showers, and multiple locals warned us to keep an eye out for trouble.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
we always stay at the "Rio Bravo" Campground, which is 1/2 mile north of Pilar on 570. There are nice showers, nice riverside spots, and some shelters that can be made into full blown enclosures with some tarps. We've stayed there three times over the past few years and have never had a problem, and we've left camp unattended (but batoned down). Theres always been other people staying in that one so it doesnt seem to get targeted as much. There are several more campgrounds scattered over the next four miles to the Taos Junction Bridge and the split between 570 (west to Tres Piedras) and the old 567 (to Taos, now impassable by big rocks), Lone Tree, Potaca are coming to mind but theres a couple more, they are all part of the Orilla Verde State Park. It really is a nice place, dont feel bed and give them the $7. You wont regret it!

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts

The flow will typically still be low in mid-March. Probably around 500-800 if I had to guess. Runoff in NM is a little earlier than southern CO, but not by much. We were there when it was raging last year during the last weekend in April...Mother's Day weekend is traditionally when things peak.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
The flow will typically still be low in mid-March. Probably around 500-800 if I had to guess. Runoff in NM is a little earlier than southern CO, but not by much. We were there when it was raging last year during the last weekend in April...Mother's Day weekend is traditionally when things peak.
Agreed. There's usually no less than about 400 through March. But don't count it quite out, either, watch the gauges. We were there two or three (maybe even four) years ago and it was 1650 the first weekend in April. It was atypical, but jus' sayin, it's not out of the question.

I don't have anythingon my schedule as of now, so Im going to tentatively sketch in a Pilar area trip sometime in early April, if anyone else is going to be around would love to get on LTB, Pilar, and possibly Chama Day Run if its running too....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts