Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the midst of a design and considering which I should put under the captains chair. I'm thinking that the cooler would be less often accessed when under way. So that would put the drybox more forward.

Then again, with other gear loaded aft, would that put the lion's share of the weight in the stern of the raft?

Thoughts?

-Andrew

·
Registered
520 Posts
In Class V water i would somewhat agree with you. (cooler and dry box never accessed).

However in any normal situation (class IV and under) the cooler is going to be opened about every 3 minutes with my crew (unless we are doing some conserve ice action on the MFS or similar).

In 13 years of having the same setup, i have NEVER opened my drybox (kitchen box) while on the river, that is waht would go under MY seat.

·
Registered
522 Posts
We decided to put the cooler under the captains seat on our new cat for a few reasons. One, we can keep wet towel on the cooler with out anyone having to sit on said wet towel (we will have a mesh captains chair). Two, one can reach into the cooler and crack it open just enough to fish out a beverage with out disturbing anyone else's seat. Three, the rower is most likely to be enjoying the shade of the bimini which would also benefit the cooler.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I use a flip seat bracket that sits right on the dry box on my cataraft. The dry box is way more stable of a platform for my seat set up. Somehow I end up being the lunch boat on a lot of trips, so easy access to the cooler is important. Most of the stuff I need close at hand (rain gear, warm layers, extra hat, etc) is in my soft captains bags, so I don't have to get into my dry box while under way very often.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Beer me

I sit over the dry box, have the cooler at the other end of the rowers compartment facing me and have a bench infront for passengers. Nothing's gonna' get in the way of my refreshment. On trips requiring ice conservation I usually have a day cooler next to me and keep a blanket over the big cooler.

seems like most of our priorities are similar :cool:

Coincidetally that setup nearly always puts the cooler under the shade of my bimini...whether kids are sleeping and they get the shade or playing and dad gets the shade.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I try not to sit on coolers or place any serious weight on them. I have seen too many top end coolers with busted up lids from all day ass planting and standing on them from a cptn chair to get a better boat scout. Don't let your cooler become a standing platform or beach sofa as well!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I've used my old yeti for everything from a couch to step ladder to a jack stand during and emergency bearing seal replacement on my trailer with no issues. It's high on my list of most useful and reliable purchases.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
unfortunately my jack would bleed down a little slower than I could pump it up, the cooler was the toughest most accessible Item I could find with out unloading the trailer (firewood was under trailer deck) so I pumped like a monkey (minds out o' the gutter) and shoved the cooler under the corner. It worked like a champ and didn't even leave a mark on my favorite beer chariot!

·
Registered
492 Posts
call me crazy, but I find I'm in and out of my drybox more than my cooler. Snacks, lunch, paddle jacket, hat, binos, etc, etc.
If I'm boating with a bunch of beer hounds I'll bring a day cooler for their beer.
Both the cooler and the drybox are equally easy to get to and open since I row from either the top of the box or the cooler. Just 2 straps and 2 latches.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
unfortunately my jack would bleed down a little slower than I could pump it up, the cooler was the toughest most accessible Item I could find with out unloading the trailer (firewood was under trailer deck) so I pumped like a monkey (minds out o' the gutter) and shoved the cooler under the corner. It worked like a champ and didn't even leave a mark on my favorite beer chariot!

That's an awesome story. Yeti are one of the best! But I still would have found something else. I guess I'm a chicken shit. :rolleyes:

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,266 Posts
The Yeti is sweet. But no way would I put mine under a trailer. Even unloaded. :D
I had four guys show up on ATV"S on Memorial Day who lifted my trailer while I changed the flat tire, "'cuz that's what 'mericans do!"

They had never heard of Oskar Blues brewery but we happily finished what was left in the cooler:D

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
It's nice to be able swap the dry box and cooler in order to adjust the balance of your boat. Going solo? Put that cooler up front to move the weight forward. Two passengers? Move the weight under towards the center of the boat. You get the idea.

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,266 Posts
You're right about the versatility to switch them out. I've been trying to configure a Frontier Play used dry box into my setup but it is only 15" wide and my cooler, 20mm ammo can, and day cooler are 18-20". I really need to bite the bullet and order a drybox that maximizes my space. It will be a lot more than $150 though.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Some day I'm going to learn how to weld. How cool would it be to be able to fabricate your own dry boxes?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Same for me, by far. Cooler is food only, sometimes beer at the right side half that can open. The dry box holds everything we need on the boat during a day.

My seat over the cooler is raised over it just a couple of inches, supported by those curved rails. It's quick to flip the seat forward and get into it if I need a beer that isn't river cooled.

We're in the box many times a day.

I like the weight distribution, front to back.

call me crazy, but I find I'm in and out of my drybox more than my cooler. Snacks, lunch, paddle jacket, hat, binos, etc, etc.
If I'm boating with a bunch of beer hounds I'll bring a day cooler for their beer.
Both the cooler and the drybox are equally easy to get to and open since I row from either the top of the box or the cooler. Just 2 straps and 2 latches.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Some day I'm going to learn how to weld. How cool would it be to be able to fabricate your own dry boxes?
You need a large break and a shear to make your own box, in addition to the tig welder. That in addition to having sheet stock of aluminum, and a lot of dinking around. It's much cheaper to order up a commercially made box. You can then spend all that time you saved on rigging your boat

1 - 20 of 20 Posts